OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Bulb Lighting Requirements

So I saw a Video Online that said how the levels of the bulb makes a difference, and It said that The Higger the K Levels the better for the Plants, for example a 6,500 K Light would be better than a 2,500 K is this in some way true? I have a bulb that gives out a 2,925 K Using 90W should I just get a Lower Wattage with Higher K numbers?

brogz

During the vegetative stage of plant growth you want a higher kelvin rating like 5500 you want to get it as close to daylight as you can which is about 6000k. When you plan to put them in the flowering stage you should put them under a light around 2200k. They would do fine under a 5500k light full time but, durring the flowering stage they benefit more under a reddish like(2200k) then under a bluish(5500k). It all depends on how into it you want to be. I mean you can go out and spend 200 on just a High Pressure Sodium bulb but then you would need to buy a ballast for it also it would give you a good reddish light. If you wanted a bluish light you would need a Metal Halide bulb. The one problem with these is you need to make sure you get a ballast that would take both MH(metal halide) and HPS(high pressure sodium) or buy 2 separate ballasts. Your third (and best IMO) option would be to get a fluorescent light ballast with bulbs that have both the bluish and reddish colors. Some of these ballasts have 2 switches so you could put both colors in the same ballast and just flip switches.
I'm sorry its just a very broad subject I hope I helped

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”