Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Real small ceramic heater and timer for greenhouse!

Iran across what is just right for want I think I need. Its a 200 watt personal ceramic heater. Really small but throws some heat maybe just enough to keep my solar green house a few degrees higher on very cold cloudy days! I also got a timer at Lowes that was $12 but on sale for $5. It really works nice with 48 1/2 hour settings and 4 plugs! After I found out how it worked it was perfect. I set it this week for 11 pm 1 pm 3 pm and 5 pm for 1/2 hour at a time. That ow watts will not take much current! I am thinking that it may be nice for a sweat chamber. it has a small fan but only one setting of power. I payed about $11 for it at wal mart! Since I am 50 miles from my greenhouse I can only be there on the weekends! I think I will buy a second heater and can put it in two areas at once and I will only use 400 watts total with both heaters!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Went back to Lowes and get another 4 plug timer and they were reduced down to $2.50 from $12 so I bought 2 more. You have to check out the personal ceramic heater from Wal mart for $11. I bought another one today. Now I have two. I will put one in each greenhouse and hook both up to two different timers and heat a half hour at a time both greenhouses just a little at midnight 2 pm and 4 pm! The heater being only 200 watts will only cost maybe $10 a month!
+++
I may have the heater heat a small heat chamber open at one end so it throws the extra heat into the greenhouse! I can put my new remote temperature meter inside the heat chamber and read it in the house by using the remote reader unit that comes with it! we live in modern imes why not think science!

erlyberd
Cool Member

Smallest I've been able to find is the 1500 watts. What is the manufacters name on that 200 watter?

erlyberd
Cool Member

Opps, does it have a therostat?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

No thermastat just off and on. Its only 200 watts so I use the timer and only have it on for a 1/2 hour at a time! Wal mart has lots of them for $11 or $12. I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT BRAND!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

erlyberd wrote:Opps, does it have a therostat?
You need a thermostat. A timer is no good. Why run the heater when no heat is required.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

If I use it in the heat chamber I will hook it to a thermastat. I use it only at night to add a little heat midnight 2 and 4 am on a half hour at a time!! I live 50 miles away and need something automatic! The cost is only a few bucks a month!

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello Bobberman, This thermostat allows you to plug an appliance directly into the thermostat and be controlled.

https://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls.shtml

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the link! I will get me one of those just what I need!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Frank, It's basically the same thermostat I showed you last summer. Buy the one with the soil prob.

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Ya I remember that DD thanks to both of you! It was 12 lastnight and my greenhouse did not freeze without any added heat except for the water! What I don't need is a week of extreme cold with cloudy skies! Put two boxes of nw seeds in the basement tonight basil and lettuce! I will move them to the greenhouse since they should sprout by saturday!

floridahillnursery
Cool Member

Hello Frank, Glad we could help. :D

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”