Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Time to buy the 20 by 100 6 -mill plastic!

I have been buying the 10 by 25 4 mill to cover my two solar greenhouses. My second outside layer would be all ne piece if I got the larger size plastic. The 20 by 100 6 mill clear even at lowes is $72.. That is what I will do this weekend! I have a 17 by 35 area and another 14 by 12 areas and I will be winterized!.I will still have a half roll left for next year! Plastic is much cheaper by the 100 foot roll! The 6 mill is best for outside and a 3 or 4 mill will work as a inside layer!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I got my plastic from Home Depot this weekend! The plastic was 6 mill and 20 by 100 and was suppose to be clear and transparent but it was a ff white. I took it back and all the bxes were all the same even though they said clear.
+++
I decided to go to my least faviorite sore Lowes and see what they had for the same price $72! Their plstic I could see through so I bught it! The plastic worked great and I covered about half of the greenhouse the rest next week with plenty left for next year.. I could have gotten a 20 by 25 6 mill plastic at Wal Mart for $28 but the 100 foot roll was a much better buy at $72.
+++
I should have gotten the staples at Wal Mart because the t-27 staples were $3.49 for 1000 staples where at Wal Mart the same staples were 1500 for $2.86. Wal Mart is generally cheaper but this was a big difference so now I know not to buystaples at the hardware store!!

erlyberd
Cool Member

Why not suck it up and buy the real stuff man? I've had mine exposes to two wicked New England winters so far so good. This stuff is tough for plastic, pricey but for a reason. You can get the cheaper over winter films if you plan on taking the system apart every spring and get a few more years out of it.

That said, use the good stuff only on the outside which takes the brunt of the uv light anyway and use the cheapstuff for the inner layer. If its not uv treated it just degrades into a zillion pieces and makes one huge mess. I know that from experience! LOL

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

If its not uv treated it just degrades into a zillion pieces and makes one huge mess.
and back to suck it up. :lol:

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I take most of the plastic off and plant inside in the summer!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”