waretrop
Newly Registered

rebuilding a used greenhouse

I am building a used greenhouse. It has that double glass with the black tar like stuff between the glass. I would like to separate it and use it as single glass.

Does anyone know how to get the glass separated? It is like the fish tank black sealant from the 50's. I use little hand tools or little electric ones and it will either break the glass or kill me to do enough for the whole greenhouse. I got a 1 inch slit on one after about 1 hour and lots of elbow grease. Is there a chemical to dissolve that stuff? Does anyone have any advice for me?

Barb

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Why do you want single glass?

waretrop
Newly Registered

The seal is broken on the glass that came with it. You can't see through it. I don't want to buy new stuff and spend the money. I don't need this greenhouse heated as it's attached to my house and my hot tub is in it.

When I use the hot tub I use a propane heater, "the eye", in the winter. I have the frame up and it's covered with plastic right now but I want single glass in it by winter.

Please someone help me with this issue?

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

How big are the glass pannels? If its tar heat will soften it. I would say get a large metal wash tub and heat the water in it and set the glass in it for a minute and it will soften the tar. We do that with old vinyl tile that had the black tar cement under it except we use a torch but with the glass I think hot water would work to soften it up! They also make heat gun similar to a hair dryer but its used to heat larger areas like a tile floor. You can rent them! Even a copper tub or kettle that they boil corn in may work!
+++
Putting the glass in boiling or hot water may also clear up the glass so you can use the double glass after all . Maybe some dish detergent may also help in the hot water!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Barb,

A warm welcome to the forum. :)

The roof on my greenhouse is recycled glass doors. It was fairly easy to slip a razor knife between the glass and the black seal. Put the blade right under the glass and push away from you. You should be able to see the whole blade under the glass as you move along.

Eric

waretrop
Newly Registered

Thanks for all your replies. I will try to heat this stuff in heated water tomorrow. I have tried to use a knife between the black and glass and got 1 inch before I was pooped.

There are 2X2 pieces of glass and larger, and also the curved pieces. The structure is 20 foot long so there are allot of pieces.

I would try the heat today but we have 2 gigantic trees down from that hurricane and we have to get most of it removed today or it will stay there for the next decade. LOL

Wish there was some kind of chemical like nail polish remover or something to soften that black stuff.

Barb n Pa

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Ok, how about a hacksaw blade without the handle. Should be able to slip it in and saw back and forth. Wear a glove or tape one end as a handle.

Eric

waretrop
Newly Registered

We tried that first. We did get with that very thin blade. Sometimes times when we revisit things they work better. I think I will use heat with water and the hacksaw blade. TOMORROW as that tree is branchless now but the main trunks have to be cut yet.

Barb in Eastern Pa with mass destruction from Irene. LOL and she thought she got the best of us.......... :>

waretrop
Newly Registered

I am thinking about soaking each edge of each panel in diesel fuel to dissolve the tar like stuff. I am awaiting someones advice about this. Of course I would not use heat in that case. LOL nutz:

The 2 issues are I probably will have to try the hacksaw even with the soak and also will it leave a film that won't allow the greenhouse sealant to stick when putting it back on the greenhouse. I will surely have to clean the glass well if I do get that tar off it.

Barb

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Can you drill two holes through the black material on oposite ends! then flush the inside of the window so it is clear again! You can then leave it together and have a double pane glass! I would not try the kerosene because it will make it a mess! Flush it out with a soap water mix using one of the bottles that mixes fertilizer for gardens! A good blast from the hose could get all the dirt out of the center of the glass!I would think the glass has a 3/8 inch air space between the glass pannels! Even a few holes 3/8 inch would only take seconds to drill!!

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”