Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Heating the sweat box and the 2 foot deep greenhouse!

I was intrigued by the sweatbox concept that doubledogs mentioned months ago! The same effect may be the way to go with a early solar greenhouse! heating the length width and depth1 Why not make a counter greenhouse.
+++
I am thinking of a area about 6 by 12 but only 2 feet high insulated all around witha insulated double glass or the top to let light in! a small heater or mat will keep the temp at 60 or above all winter. This should be easy and cheap to heat and expand as spring approches. Has anyone tried something similar almost like a combination sweat chamber and greenhouse. The swaet chamber area could have a higher temp!

soil
Greener Thumb

my sweat chamber was in my greenhouse. I only used the additional heating at night.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:my sweat chamber was in my greenhouse. I only used the additional heating at night.
Yes, My chamber is in the greenhouse. I'm using a thermastat, so heated when needed.

Frank, Your idea sounds like a Hot bed. Take a look.
https://www.gardening.cornell.edu/factsheets/vegetables/coldframes.pdf

Eric

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I guess you could call it a hot bed but inside my solar greenhouse. My greenhouse stays above 35 without any heat sorce except for stored water! It would not take as much heat to heat a area inside the greenhouse.
+++
The difference is that the area is for putting flats of new started plants to keep for a month or more till the deep winter is ending! Unlike a hot bed the bottom will also be insulated similar to the sweat chamber but at a lower temp to keep the new seedlings going through the worse part of winter. I can't afford to heat my greenhouse all winter but a small area maybe!
Last edited by Bobberman on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erlyberd
Cool Member

I managed to heat a low tunnel inside a hoop house last spring with surprizing results. I'd have to look up my notes but I think growing area was only 9 sq ft, heated by a coulpe light bulbs with nightly temp gains of over 20 degrees! Have yet to work on it anymore but as soon as I'm up to it I'll be rebuilding my low tunnels with proper insulation for nightime, double poly, insulative blankets what ever it takes to get an early start again. Just need to simplfy last year plan.

Very similar as to what your doing Bobberman. A box with in a box.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”