Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

May in my greenhouse what to do now!

My plants are alldoing great in mostly my styrofoam boxes. For the last two weeks I have been transplanting into 4 and 6 packs! Lots of 6 to 10 inch tomato plants. Some are so nice I am putting them in 4 inch pots. My peppers are about 4 inches heigh and ready for pots or directly into the garden! I planted a flower mix in one box that came out great so next year I will have a dozn boxes of mixed flowers!. Parsley very nice. I had to move about 20 boxes outside the greenhouse for space.
+++
My new 12 by 16 A frame green house is cool with the three 3 by 4 wind windows with screens . I also placed a screen around the 2 foot by 12 ft. border on the south side for more air! It has been around 85 day and 60 night now in there! I have a granny green tomato that is very nice with about 4 dozen. My chocolate cherry tomatoes will be a great selled in 4 inch pots at the flea market! I have a heirloom Hillbilly tomato orange and red! I must have have 12 varities or more. I traded some seeds here that I also have to see what the plants are since I never heard of some of them so thanks everyone!
+++
I Planted lots of seeds I saved from last year and they are also very nice! I put a half dozen outside in my cold frames to get a early start! Cabbage and broccoli super nice but outside now still in the box.
I like the boxes the best since you can transplant when you get time and they don't dry out fast with the extra soil and compost in the bottom! Two more weeks and all will be in the garden except what I will grow all summer in the greenhouse till dec or jan.

soil
Greener Thumb

we take the roof off of our greenhouse in the summer, replace it with shadecloth, and now we have a summer shadehouse. perfect for growing crops in full sun, but without the suns full intensity. the glass walls create a pretty cool microclimate that allows fast growth. so when its 100+ outside, its only about mid 90s inside.

sounds like you got a lot of good stuff going, our GH is completely stuffed to the brim right now too.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would say may in Pa. determins 90% of my outside garden from my greenhouse plants! After the second week in may I feel safer to plant! The shade cloth is a good Idea. In my A frame I can simply put wood slats 6 foot up and make a shade house.
+++
I will leave most of my plastic on the A frame since I have 16 feet of screens along the bottom 2 feet of the south side.I will grow some vine crops inside all summer into the beginning of winter. I have wire mesh going up the south face so vine crops can climb to the top!

bogydave

Sounds like a good set up. Start early & grow late.
Nice to extend the season & have fresh salads late in the year.
I may take your idea of some plants at a trade fair next year, at least I might get enough $$ for seeds & gas money. :)
Good growing.

soil
Greener Thumb

I will grow some vine crops inside all summer into the beginning of winter. I have wire mesh going up the south face so vine crops can climb to the top!
you can also plant some annual vine plants on the outside as well. this creates a natural shade cloth that absorbs heat. right now I have a small wall of anasazi beans growing up one side of the small GH.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”