colem
Newly Registered

Greenhouse questions

First post here, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I checked, but didn't see a greenhouses section.

I just got a 6X6X6 greenhouse, and have some questions I haven't been able to find direct answers to by searching Google.

It's my first greenhouse, and the reason I got it is simply to extend the growing season if possible, and perhaps put an end to the constant indoor seed starting.

Now that the greenhouse is up, and I have had a chance to think about it, I am experiencing some confusion. Here are my thoughts:

1-Why did I get this thing again? I was starting seeds indoors, put them under lights, and have had smashing success doing so. What will this greenhouse let me do that my indoor lights didn't do?

2-why is it 100 degrees in there with the rear vent open, and the front door unzipped, and rolled all the way up?

3-why is it the same temperature in there at night as it is outside when the vent is closed, and the door is zipped up tight?

4-what am I supposed to do with this greenhouse again? It's the weirdest thing...it's like getting nervous before a test. I got the thing, and now I haven't the slightest idea why I need it!! This is hilarious in a way, sort of a "theater of the absurd" moment where I obsessed over getting a greenhouse, and now that I have it, I have no idea why I even need it.

5-seriously now, I figured it would simplify hardening off seedlings which had been started indoors. My assumption was that a greenhouse would be a perfect place to harden off seedlings, since the light is filtered, and the humidity remains high, preventing drying out of seedlings.

6-This hardening off idea doesn't make sense now that I have the greenhouse. The greenhouse was 100 degrees today while it was 80 outside. This is with the rear vent open, and front door open. That's not hardening off, that's suicide. The night time temps don't seem higher in there than the outside. Maybe this is a fluke, maybe my weather station satellite transmitter is a few degrees off?

7-why are there swarms of gnats, baby bees, and dragon flies in this greenhouse within 24 hours of its installation? I have never seen concentrations of these bugs in my yard, but they were in the greenhouse in swarms. I killed em all with a bug zapper thing, but 1 hour later, there were tons of bugs to replace the ones I got rid of.

So there are my concerns. In a nutshell, I would like to know EXACTLY what a mini greenhouse is supposed to be used for in each season, and I would like to know if other people experienced this apparent bafflement of what to do with the thing once you have it.

Thanks! 8)

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I have absolutly no words of wisdom for you, never having had a greenhouse myself. I just had to say (and I mean no offense by this whatsoever) your post made me laugh my butt off.
If ever there was a gardening cartoon in the newspaper comics, "the new greenhouse" could keep it going for weeks. :lol:

sciencegal

colem wrote: So there are my concerns. In a nutshell, I would like to know EXACTLY what a mini greenhouse is supposed to be used for in each season, and I would like to know if other people experienced this apparent bafflement of what to do with the thing once you have it.
I got one of those a few months ago to use in the house as shelves for seedlings. It fits perfectly in front of one of my tall south facing windows, the wire shelves are great for attaching chains to hold the lights, and it was cheaper than any other shelving system I could find. I'm not using the plastic cover, though.

applestar
Mod

You bring up a very interesting dilemma -- especially that the greenhouse won't stay warm during the night by itself.

However, I'm inclined to think that a 100ºF by day greenhouse would still be useful for tropicals or better yet, desert plants that can handle the sharp temperature fluctuation between day and night. Also, if you put an incandescent bulb or two in there, or a soil heating cable, that might be sufficient to keep the green house warm enough.

You might have had more use for the green house for your seedlings a litter earlier, when daytime temps are in the 60's.

Other ideas and thoughts that were proposed to me when I [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120981&highlight=hammock+stand#120981]posted about a tempoarary plastic sheet covered enclosure[/url]

I had wondered about the smaller units with no roof vents -- only side vents. Your experience goes to show why roof vents are superior for passive air dynamics. I've always said I'm going to get those thermal switch operated vent opener/closer and solar-powered fans if I ever got a small greenhouse. I've had my eyes on solar-powered RV/boat cabin fan for some time now....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

sciencegal,

In a nutshell, this is one big shell :wink:

1-Why did I get this thing again? I was starting seeds indoors, put them under lights, and have had smashing success doing so. What will this greenhouse let me do that my indoor lights didn't do?

To go or grow more green. No lights. You may want a heating pad for propagation

2-why is it 100 degrees in there with the rear vent open, and the front door unzipped, and rolled all the way up?

https://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102spring2002_web_projects/c.levit/web%20page.html

3-why is it the same temperature in there at night as it is outside when the vent is closed, and the door is zipped up tight?

Lack of thermal mass and insulation

4-what am I supposed to do with this greenhouse again? It's the weirdest thing...it's like getting nervous before a test. I got the thing, and now I haven't the slightest idea why I need it!! This is hilarious in a way, sort of a "theater of the absurd" moment where I obsessed over getting a greenhouse, and now that I have it, I have no idea why I even need it.

but once you figure it out, it's not nearly big enough. :wink: Start the season earlier. Extend the season. Grow greens in the fall and winter. Over winter tender potted plants. Grow lemons and limes.

5-seriously now, I figured it would simplify hardening off seedlings which had been started indoors. My assumption was that a greenhouse would be a perfect place to harden off seedlings, since the light is filtered, and the humidity remains high, preventing drying out of seedlings.

No, you will need to still harden off the tender seedlings. Depends on the greenhouse film, not filtered light.

6-This hardening off idea doesn't make sense now that I have the greenhouse. The greenhouse was 100 degrees today while it was 80 outside. This is with the rear vent open, and front door open. That's not hardening off, that's suicide. The night time temps don't seem higher in there than the outside. Maybe this is a fluke, maybe my weather station satellite transmitter is a few degrees off?

Not a fluke, You need some form of thermal mass. Soil, rock, brick, water. and the north wall and some of the east and west walls could be insulated.

7-why are there swarms of gnats, baby bees, and dragon flies in this greenhouse within 24 hours of its installation? I have never seen concentrations of these bugs in my yard, but they were in the greenhouse in swarms. I killed em all with a bug zapper thing, but 1 hour later, there were tons of bugs to replace the ones I got rid of.

No :!: What are you doing. If you intend to grow plants that need to be pollinated. You are killing them. :x You have heard the saying, snug as bug in a rug. It's nice and toasty in there.

This is way to many question all at once. If we had a forum for this topic, APLLESTAR, :wink: It would be much easier. :D
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Mon May 17, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Timlin

I love my greenhouse BUT I have forced air heat in there for cold spring nights and I still start my seeds in the house and move them to the gh when they are sprouted. I find I get much better germination that way.

I also have a roof opener so a window in the roof opens automatically when the temps get too warm inside......that along with the door and a back window opened takes care of overheating.

Today all my seedlings are sitting on a table outside the gh and there they stay night and day (unless frost threatens) to harden off for planting at the end of the month.

It's really wonderful for just over a month in the spring and again for a month or so in the fall when I move my container plantings inside to continue to enjoy the colour beyond frost.

Jbest

Hi Colem and welcome to the forum, I have a GH and use it 12 mo/per year and enjoy every minute of it. Please please do not take this personally, but you should have had the answers to your questions before you bought a GH. You need to know the ideal conditions to preform the job you want done and how best to emulate those conditions. The best way to do that is by visiting the forums asking questions and reading about OPs mistakes.

Return to “Greenhouse Forum”