roseycheeks
Green Thumb

Re: Mums

When is the earliest potted mums should show new growth while in the house? I looked at mine and even though they are on the floor and in a darker place, they are growing! I can see the new growth, it is very easy to see, is thee anything wrong with that?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

They're just too warm. The only thing you can do now is to give them as much light as possible while still keeping them as cool as possible. It's been way too warm for a normal Ohio winter so far this year so I am not surprised that they are breaking dormancy.

roseycheeks
Green Thumb

I put them on a plant stand in front of the picture window, they quite a bit of light coming in but it is indirect light. It is also cool there, so will let you what happens, also my amaryllis is doing well.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Winter is finally supposed to arrive tonight, at least for a few days. The cold should slow them down a bit. In the greenhouses they get pinched back quite a bit before being allowed to produce flower buds. So even if they get a bit leggy they you can pinch them back without harming them.

Return to “Perennials”