JuliaLilac
Newly Registered

Ornamental grass care

Hi everyone,

I know I posted something similar in the Plant Identification forum, but I thought I'd try it out here, as well. I have several clumps of ornamental grasses in my garden that look very pretty in April and May, but by early June (ie now) they flatten and turn yellow. Many ornamental grasses look lovely when dormant, but these look terrible in my opinion. Any thoughts?
In April they are lovely...
In April they are lovely...
In May they are starting to get a bit long and droopy, but at least they're still green
In May they are starting to get a bit long and droopy, but at least they're still green
This is what the same clump looks like now! Help!
This is what the same clump looks like now! Help!
(Please excuse the messiness of the garden, I still haven't got around to a full weeding yet :)
I have no idea what kind of grass it is - nothing in Google images looks quite like it. Any help would be appreciated :D

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Looks like some of my grassy weeds down here but I am not good at identifying them because of all the plant parts that one has to check to Id weeds... :shock: See if you can find yours here:

https://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/cro ... eedgal.htm

I try to extract mine in the Spring when the soil is wet and they come out easily. Otherwise, I try to mow often to keep their size in check. I guess you could call that my organic method. Hee hee hee.

JuliaLilac
Newly Registered

OP here - after a year I think I've uncovered the mystery of what these "grasses" are. I'm quite sure they are my crocuses! I never realized that their leaves grew so much after the flowers faded. So I guess I just have to cut them back once the leaves start to wither.

Return to “Perennials”