D Papa
Newly Registered

problem with Montauk Daisies question from novice gardener

Hello, this is my first post to this forum and I need help. We have these matching bunches of Montauk Daisies in our corner flowerbed and this year, the left bunch is only growing a small amount of stems in the back (see photo). They used to be one giant bunch filling the entire flowerbed until about 5 years ago when I thinned them down to two matching round batches. Every year in late summer / early fall I cut the stems down way low, and every spring they always bloom back in identical size and timing. This is the first time they've ever shown any problem. The only thing I can think of that might've affected them is that there was a lot of plowed snow on them for a couple of months this winter, but I know they weren't moved because all the stems are still in place. Any suggestions?

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

Montauk Daisies are very forgiving & also very pest/disease-resistant, so I doubt either of yours have a problem with those. However, while they're also somewhat "salt-resistant" (like beach/Rosa Rugosas), if that particular bunch may have been hit by more than its fair share of "road salt" (which isn't exactly "salt"), perhaps that might be the reason it's less than hearty.

D Papa
Newly Registered

GardeningCook wrote:Montauk Daisies are very forgiving & also very pest/disease-resistant, so I doubt either of yours have a problem with those. However, while they're also somewhat "salt-resistant" (like beach/Rosa Rugosas), if that particular bunch may have been hit by more than its fair share of "road salt" (which isn't exactly "salt"), perhaps that might be the reason it's less than hearty.
Thank you, that would be a relief over a pest/disease problem, and very likely, since around here they salt/sand and plow numerous times. I'm going to try some natural fertilizers to boost them back up.

Return to “Perennials”