AJ
Newly Registered

Monarda/Bee Balm

Does anyone know where I can buy a full size plant online? I can only find little plants that are pretty much just root balls.

I would really appreciate any help/advice. Thank you!

Jess
Greener Thumb

Hi AJ :D

I would go for the small plants if I were you. Larger plants take longer to settle in and in some cases give up. They will have been grown in optimum conditions and then when you plant them they have too many adjustments to make all in one go. Smaller specimens adapt quicker, root faster and grow more healthily. Why not buy 3 small ones? Monarda grow and spread quite rapidly. I put my 1 litre size Monarda in 2 years ago and now it covers and area of about 3 square foot. One word of advice; plant behind another low growing shrub/perennial. They always get mildew on the stems. It doesn't affect the flowers but looks horrible.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Good to know they ALWAYS get mildew! This is my first year with bee balm plants and I was once again impressed with how little I know.

I purchased my bee balm from flea and farmer's markets. They had several in one pot, I'm fairly pleased with them.

Jess
Greener Thumb

You won't be disappointed Grey (apart from the stems) They are not called bee balm for nothing. Literally swarming with them last year and I swear the shrub I have next to them has more flowers than ever on it because of this. The flowers are beautiful too and come quite late in the summer when other plants are starting to look tired.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I can't wait to see it! I have one that was called Bee Balm, maybe it isn't, but it had light purple blooms. Then I have another, that I am told is the regular red bee balm, that hasn't bloomed yet. We'll find out!

AJ
Newly Registered

Thank you for the info! :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Grey wrote:I can't wait to see it! I have one that was called Bee Balm, maybe it isn't, but it had light purple blooms. Then I have another, that I am told is the regular red bee balm, that hasn't bloomed yet. We'll find out!
it is probably a cultivar. They come in a wide range of colours now from white through to purple. The red one is the original bee balm classified as a herb.
To keep them at their best cut flowers immediately after flowering for a second flush. Prune in the Autumn to about an inch and feed in the Spring. Every three years divide the clump as the middle gets old and stops flowering. The dried leaves are used to make Oswega tea which is very aromatic a bit like Earl Grey but not the same thing.

Grey
Greener Thumb

ooh, good to know. The purple is about finished flowering now - and I had heard the centers died out and needed dividing, but wasn't sure how long before that was needed, figured I know it when I saw it!

I knew about the tea - wanted to try it out, I like trying out my own teas. :) I do a little herbal experimentation and a lot of reading, but haven't moved past tea yet. :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

Grey wrote: I knew about the tea - wanted to try it out, I like trying out my own teas. :) I do a little herbal experimentation and a lot of reading, but haven't moved past tea yet. :)

I cannot get away from my Tetleys! ( I am a Brit you know :wink: ) I keep using herbs for tea (Chamomile, Mint etc.) but just doesn't hit the spot for me.
Its nice to talk to someone else who is into herbs. My favourite plants.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I love tea. Especially in winter, it's almost all I drink. Have to have my chai spice black tea first thing in the morning.

I'm told American tea is really horrible compared to English tea. Some brands sold here really are just terrible, but some are good, at least to me. Maybe I should never go across the Pond and find out what the good stuff tastes like.

I love my herbs. I love to add lemon balm or mint to my iced tea on a warm day - I keep a mint right on my patio table so it's easy to pinch off some leaves and enjoy.

I'm slowly getting a collection of medicinal herbs too. I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies here in the States for various and sundry reasons (actually, MANY reasons) and don't want to be dependent on prescription drugs. I'm a bit of a slow study, and it seems like one book contradicts another. Now I have a 3-ring binder that I use to keep it all straight, and things get added all the time. Hope to figure it all out at some point.

Return to “Perennials”