seaellare
Cool Member

What should I expect from my mums this winter?

I just planted some mums in front of my house - alternating yellow and the light purple/mauve shade of hardy mums - to hide where my baby shrubs are growing so it doesn't look so bare. The first one's flowers are starting to fade. Not sure if fade is the right word, they are kinda shriveling up and turning brown. I am assuming that is normal, and I've been pinching them off. I do see new buds peeking through, so I haven't worried about the ugliness yet... :? Is this normal?

I am in zone 7, and I've seen mums in my area that are in their second showing of blooms (I just planted mine about 2-3 weeks ago), they look gorgeous.

What should I expect once winter arrives? Will the stems turn brown like bulbs would, or are they evergreen? Should I cut them down or just mulch around and let them go?

Any other advice on mums would be very much appreciated :D

Christine

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Christine,

So sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I'm sure by now that your mums are putting out another flush of bloom since you have been pinching off the faded blooms. I like to purchase them when they are in bud as I get a longer bloom time. Once a hard frost hits the stems will probably turn brown. They aren't evergreen. Then you can prune them to about 6" or just leave the stems until spring and prune to the ground then. They will reappear again in spring. If you want them to stay full like they are now you will need to pinch them several times during the growing season or they will get leggy and flop. You should find this helpful.
https://www.yoder.com/inside_frameset.asp?body=%2Fconsumer%2Fgarden%2Fcare%2Fcontent%2Easp

Newt

seaellare
Cool Member

Thanks, Newt!

Well, the first one (planted about 2 wks before the others) isn't putting out any new blooms yet. Don't know if it will or not, but I'll see!

I've read about pinching them back from different sites. Is it correct to actually pinch the spent blooms off with your fingernails? I pulled a couple of the blooms off by just pulling them - I hope it won't hurt them.

Thanks for the great site though, I spent at least an hour looking through it all!! :shock:

Christine

Newt
Greener Thumb

You are so very welcome! You can just pinch the blooms off with your fingernails, I do it all the time. It works easier with plants that have a softer stem. Pulling them runs the risk of pulling too hard and disturbing the roots of one that doesn't come away easily. Also, using your thumb nail or a tool allows for a cleaner cut with less chance of damage to the stem.

Newt

MUMS ARE A PERENNIAL CUT THEM BACK AFTER THE STALK TURNS BROWN THEY WILL COME BACK NEXT YEAR CUT ABOUT 2 INS ABOVE THE ROOTS

Return to “Perennials”