Nana2JAM
Newly Registered

No blooms on bee balm

In mid-May I bought a small pot of the old-fashioned red bee balm at a sale being held by area Master Gardeners. It is planted in an area that gets plenty of sunshine and even some dappled shade in the afternoon. The plant itself looks wonderful and is growing like crazy. But there are no flowers....not even buds. What do I do?

applestar
Mod

I think the old-fashioned ones have shorter flowering periods and don't flower until August (at least in my area).

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well mine has been flowering for at least a couple weeks. However, depending on the size of plant you bought, sometimes perennials don't bloom til the second year, started from seed.

So it may yet bloom or maybe not til next year... But once you get it established, it's great stuff, comes back more and better each year! I always grow some in a pot on my deck so that the hummingbirds will come up on the deck.

tacotac
Newly Registered

Bee balms usually bloom late spring/early summer, and are done for the season - for the most part. The ones I buy are usually in bloom, but don't last long.

Return to “Perennials”