FATZ

What's wrong with my elephant ears? Moldy looking.

What might be wrong with this lil' fellow? It seems to be "moldy".

[img]https://i737.photobucket.com/albums/xx11/fatzlee/greenthumb07-07-09_1010.jpg[/img]

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

My mom had Elephant Ears in the yard when I was a kid and so did a neighbor... I'm very fond of the plant so I checked on line and found the following info:

-have a thirst for water; so do well in the southern states or soggy areas
-partial shade
-heavy feeders; acidic soil; nitrogen

So you may want to determine the amount of sun they are getting - they don't like too much and make sure they are getting lots of water and food high in nitrogen. :wink:

FATZ

Thanks! I imagine they are getting too much sun right now. The later 8 hours of the day, they are in direct sunlight.

I water all my plants early in the morning. I tell my wife that I am "going out to water the kids"... :D I try to "over water" them because of the lack of rain lately. The soil seems to stay at least a little damp until the next morning.

The ground where I am at is hard. So I dig a large hole and fill it with potting soil. I use Miracle Grow Potting soil (so far) :?: . You know the one..... "feeds plants up to 3 months, blah, blah, blah.... I don't have any idea of the pH of the soil or the MG potting soil.

I suppose that pH balancing will be my next major learn. I see alot about it in what I have read regardless of the plant.

So, do I need to remove the "ugly" :oops: ears? IF so, do I remove just the ear? Or the entire stem and leaf? Do I use scissors?

While there is a lot to learn, this is very fun. One day, I'm gonna be like Hank Hill..."um-hmm...I tell you what" :lol: .

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Yes, you can remove the ears by cutting at the base of the stem; scissors are fine. But it looks like it may leave you with only 1 stock left so this little guy may be a lost cause. :(

I suggest you look around in the yard and find a shadier spot; like along a north facing wall of the house or a fence, etc. Under a larger plant would work too. You won't lose the 'kids' if you relocate them.

Also, potting soil is for plants in pots. If you decide to relocate the elephant ears, use a top soil, compost, or planting soil. Your nursery can make a recommendation or at Home Depot with the stacks of bags of soil usually it indicates for replanting. I've been using the 'Kellogs brand' lately with much success.

Good luck and let us know how the 'ears' are doing... Posting pics would be great! :o

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

you can trim off just the scorched part of the leaf, and keep some of the photosynthetic potential that the plant already has...

FATZ

Well, I won't be moving them as per "the boss"...lol. But, I am keeping them watered and the next one that came in looks good. I'll keep my eye on them.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Maybe they just needed to get established and it was transplant shock... :?

Good luck and yes, keep us posted. :)

Return to “Perennials”