ColtsFan

Transplanted Plants - Did I Kill Them?

I recently transplanted yellow loosestrife and coneflowers from the back yard to the front yard, I didn't separate the clump of loosestrife and made sure to get all of the root ball on both pants, I watered them in well and had rain the following 3 days yet these plants look like they are on the verge of death. Wilting, dried out despite watering, etc..... did I do this at a bad time (mid-summer) or it this typical of the plant and I should expect them to come back next year. These plants have thrived despite total lack of care for 3 years, now that I moved them they seem like I evicted them from their favorite house and now they are committing slow suicide. Is there something I need to do and haven't or have I done something I shouldn't have from the start?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

definitely transplant shocked. Don't overwater them now and don't fertilize them until they are recovered. Probably would help them to recover to cut the foliage back and cut off any blossoms they have right now. But these are hardy plants. Even if they never get looking as good this season as they were, as long as they make it, they should come back as good as new next year.

Mid-summer is a tough time to transplant things, especially if it's hot. Besides the weather, the plant is in a phase of fast growth of stems and leaves, it's not at that point oriented towards establishing more roots. Usually you would do it in spring or fall.

ColtsFan

Whew! That's what I was hoping for. I was kinda expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Thank you for the helpful response :)

Return to “Perennials”