Decado
Green Thumb

Climbing Hydrangea

So now I'm looking for a vine to climb a trellis against my house and I saw on Victory Garden that the Climbing Hydrangea is a good shade friendly house trellis vine. I was wondering how powerful this specific vine is and what type of wood I should use for a trellis.

plkelly

Some of these plants are so strong that they really need a big tree or a rock wall to climb. They will take apart a wooden trellis or anything like that. Which is why I didn't plant it on my gazebo as I originally planned.

I have one planted (Hydrangea anomala petiolaris) to grow against a rock wall, but they take awhile to establish. It gets too much deep shade where it's at so I'm going to move it this fall, and plan on planting this one (from a great local farm/nursery) on a tree:

[url]https://www.hilltop-gardens.com/perennials.html.[/url]
(scroll down to the very bottom)

I've seen it in person--absolutely gorgeous!

Decado
Green Thumb

Well what do you think would be a good trellis vine for mostly shade?

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Hydrangea anomala petiolaris is bumping up against its cold tolerance limits in Minnesota. I believe there are a few healthy examples in sheltered spots within the Cities but efforts to establish it at the Landscape Arborteum in Chaska have failed (unless they have had success since I moved). Climbing hydrangea is more a candidate for light shade rather than deeper shade, at least in northern latitudes.

I think Dutchman's Pipe (Aristolochia macrophylla) is probably your best bet but if it is deep shade it won't be very happy. They do best in light shade or AM sun and PM shade. Clematis species are also an option in light shade.

shady zone5
Newly Registered

I have a climbing hydrangea on a trellis constructed of one by ones. The plant has not destroyed it. The previous owners of my house had a honeysuckle along side of it. The honeysuckle has been carried along with the hydrangea as it's grown. The trellis is 10 feet high , the hydrangea has grown an additional 14 feet , with the aid of my neighbors
brick wall. So far it has caused no visible damage to the wall. In past when limbs have secured themselves to the wood on my balcony they use holdfasts which are less than an inch, something I'm sure could be removed by a putty knife. It did take a while for the plant to really start growing (12 years and now its 24 feet high) but I wouldn't exchange for anything.

shady zone5
Newly Registered

I have a climbing hydrangea on a trellis constructed of one by ones. The plant has not destroyed it. The previous owners of my house had a honeysuckle along side of it. The honeysuckle has been carried along with the hydrangea as it's grown. The trellis is 10 feet high , the hydrangea has grown an additional 14 feet , with the aid of my neighbors
brick wall. So far it has caused no visible damage to the wall. Limbs have secured themselves to the wood on my balcony they use holdfasts which are less than an inch, something I'm sure could be removed by a putty knife. It did take a while for the plant to really start growing (12 years and now its 24 feet high) but I wouldn't exchange for anything.

plkelly

I bet that's beautiful, Shady! I love the look of them.

And I'm glad to hear that it hasn't hurt your trellis. I've never actually had that happen, but did read they could do that when I was looking for a vine for my gazebo.

Still don't have anything on my gazebo--one side gets morning sun, afternoon shade. The other side is deep shade full time. I've had Cypress vine or morning glory on the sunny side other years, but I'm stumped on the shady side and was considering hydrangea a couple years ago.

Chris W
Newly Registered

I have mine growing up the side of a tree. It has been there for about 6 years and this is the first time I actually see blooms that are going to open. :clap: Not quite sure why it has taken all this time to start blooming. I know it's going to look just awesome in bloom!!

Return to “Perennials”