GRDrip

Cannas, Elephant Ears and no Banana tree

I have a "micro--climate" in front of my house where I grow Cannas and elephant ears.They act as perennials - come back year after year. In fact, I can't get rid of them. They're like weeds now. Last summer I planted a hardy banana tree in there. It is showing no signs of birth although the bulb is hard to the touch. Am I getting to anxious? Is it too early yet? Any ideas? PLEASE!!!!!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What are your soil temps? In the 50's yet? Doubt it, and banana does NOTHING below 53 degrees...patience...

:)

HG

GRDrip

Thank you HG,

Any idea what the soil temperature has to be for cannas and elephant ears?

Also, do you just stick a thermometer in the ground a certain distance to get the temp?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure plain old meat thermometer like you'd use for a turkey (and don't let the wife catch you smuggling it out of the kitchen if she's like mine. If you are the wife, ignore this... :lol: )

Cannas are also warm soil creatures liking 60 degrees before they start to jump, so if you have cannas and no bananas (I LIKE that...) then we may have an issue. But do not panic yet, I know someone who winters bananas in Massachussetts...

HG

Return to “Perennials”