alanna908
Newly Registered

Seeds start at different rates, who knew?

Hi, This is my first time starting from seed and I'm having a bit of a problem. Some of the vegetables I have planted have sprouted already but most haven't. I read that once they have sprouted you should take off the dome and start moving the tray closer to sunlight but only 4 of my 30 cells have sprouted...what should I do? I should mention that these are all different kinds of fruits and vegetables. Lettuce, peppers, tomatoes etc.

I have toyed with the idea of cutting out those cells and moving them but then I don't think the ill-fitting dome would be much use for the rest of my seeds (to be honest I don't think it's doing much anyway as there's no condensation on it and I've had to spray with water a couple of times this week). Or, transplant them to bigger containers early... Help!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Alanna you don't say how long you've been waiting to see shoots. Different species, different varieties and even different seeds within a batch will have different germination times. If you're starting everything from turnips to peppers the various seeds can take anywhere from 2-3 days to 2-3 weeks or more; and it will all vary depending on temperature & other conditions. If you can provide more details people will be more able to offer advice.

alanna908
Newly Registered

I planted them last Saturday. I'm pretty sure the rest aren't all duds, they just need more time.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

The ill-fitting dome still keeps moisture in and near the seeds, even though it seems like it's not helping. I say leave it on but move the tray closer to the light for the seedlings that are growing. A little extra light won't hurt the other seeds unless they are seeds that require darkness. (but even those sprout well as long as the lights are not on all the time) Wait to transplant until the seedlings have their true leaves and the roots are starting to grow out the bottom of the cell.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Personally, I would just get rid of the domes. I have started thousands of plants from seed (over the years) and never used a dome. As long as you keep the potting mix damp, you don't need the dome. And once the seedlings are sprouted the domes are killer -- too much humidity and too little air circulation promotes fungal diseases.

imafan26
Mod

I would give the seeds at least another week to germinate. When you have most germinated then take it apart. I usually only plant one thing in a pot. I use community pots (4 inch pots) to save space and pot up to 3.5 inch pots when the seedlings are ready to transplant. It is the only way I have enough space. I have to take the trays to the nursery bench after about a week, that way I know how many pots I need to replant so that I have a full tray.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”