imafan26
Mod

Re: 2016 -- starting seeds and cuttings for the new season

How dwarf is a dwarf moringa? The ones here are hacked but the taller ones can be over 30 ft tall.

applestar
Mod

Haha I don' t know imafan :P It's this one -- https://www.rareseeds.com/moringa-dwarf/

applestar
Mod

digitS' wrote:
digitS' wrote:I have Yellow Doll watermelon to set out. ..
They couldn't recover from June's whiplash temperatures and died in July! Luckily, the Goddess Cantaloupe did well. And, I have had lots of Diplomat Galia melons ... after concern that they might not survive June either.

And!
... Giant Sungold sunflowers caused some frustrations this year! ...
I was lucky with the Giant Sungolds, as well :)!

Steve
Wow those are sunflowers? I guess I haven't ventured beyond the ordinary varieties.

...so what's your favorite melon and watermelon varieties? Do the success of Goddess and Diplomat mean they are your top picks now?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Thrips can be a problem in any flower, from apple blossoms to zinnias :? . Sunflowers are bug magnets just as they are bird magnets ... to start with. The Giant Sungolds are thrip magnets! ... I wish there was a tiny bird that would keep them out of that mass of golden petals!

I like "The Joker" variety - cheerful and colorful. Thanks for asking, AppleStar :).

I can very nearly see Blacktail Mountain from my big veggie garden. Tried the watermelon variety named for that mountain twice. It was a complete failure both times! Sugar Baby comes through on about half the seasons I've grown it. Too often, it never ripens properly. Nah. I don't need watermelons ...

I had felt that if Minnesota Midget was the only cantaloupe I could grow, I would not care about having any melon in my garden. Then, I discovered Passport Galia! It never failed over about 10 seasons.

Last year and this, I bought Diplomat seed. Those galia melon plants nearly died with the watermelon ... well, they were severely set back by June temperatures, anyway. The first ripe melons from those vines were about a month later than in 2015! I'm not sure how Passports would have handled June 2016 but they have a track record.

Meanwhile, Goddess plants powered on through June like champions. Three years, and they haven't disappointed me yet.

Steve

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”