How safe is it to start these seeds indoors:

Moonflowers
Coleus
Sunflowers
Marigolds
Tomatoes (endless summer and plum)

While...

Pregnant? :-)

I've been afraid to ask this question because it's still early, but I want to make sure I'm not dealing with any hazardous seeds if I decide to seed start today. I do intend on wearing gloves. I'm also concerned about direct sowing too.

Thanks. :-)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It is good to be careful while you are pregnant, but I doubt that there are any seeds that could be harmful to you or your baby to be, just by handling them, certainly not any of those that you name.

What you need to be careful about is mainly what you eat, or any toxic fumes you can breathe in.

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

I agree. You may want to wear a mask when using the potting mixes and amendments. Personally, I would only use organic ones in case the commercial ones are treated with fungicides. But organic ones may contain fungal spores. So yeah -- a mask. I don't think the tiny amount of fungicides/pesticides some non-organic seeds are treated with could be an issue.

Also don't use pesticides or herbicides while growing your plants. Stop using weed (weed killer) n feed type lawn treatments. Be careful of neighbors who may use them while you are outside.

Do wash hands carefully and often after HANDLING any garden related supplies from the store. You don't know if they were handled with toxic chemical contaminated hands. (Just get in the habit of washing hands more often while preg. :wink: )

Growing directly in the ground itself is not a problem as much unless you suspect neighborhood cats to have been using your garden as their potty. Taxoplasmosis should be avoided when pregnant and while babies are small.

From your list, sunflowers are really better sown directly in the ground since they don't transplant well. So far I had best success trying to get them started early by warming the ground where they are to grow and protecting with some kind of hot caps while they sprout.

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thanks! Guys, are the jiffy peat pellet greenhouses okay to handle as long as hands are washed thoroughly?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you don't have a lot of experience starting things from seeds, you might want to read the seed starting basics thread here. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 48&t=44183. I don't recommend the Jiffy pellets either, not for safety reasons, just that I don't think they work very well.

As long as you are doing things naturally, seeds, soils, etc., I don't think you have any safety issues. My concerns would only be if you get in to using a bunch of chemicals, especially herbicides and pesticides.

Glassonion91168
Cool Member

Thank you! Hubby and I are very excited! :-)

I don't usually use chemicals, just sow and water. I don't seem to have a problem with the Jiffys, but it's probably because I'm using the heating mat until I sow into the ground.

I just bought some gorgeous Zinnias on Park Seed's website. I can't wait until they get here!
Attachments
51991.jpg
51991.jpg (10.94 KiB) Viewed 1176 times

Susan W
Greener Thumb

GO, an eclectic mix to start now, but that's good, and the way I work. It's good to be careful while PG, and having the wee one around, but don't get so scared you live in a bubble.

Peat pellets? Many here don't like them, but I go with them, rather the coir pellets. I start many varieties, not much of each at a time, have limited space for initial starting and use the small trays (10-12 pellets). I just counted about 24 going right now in various stages. A few are duplicate, say basil up and going and new ones just sprouting.

I may add I think you are early in your sunflowers. I do start in the pellets so the birds don't eat the fresh planted seeds. You could do direct sow, or inside just 2-3 weeks prior to warm soil (they are fast!)

Have fun, enjoy, and look for surprises!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”