Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

New ways I am starting my seeds in doors this year!

I have been thinking all winter of how to improve my seed starting. I decided to start them in the basement till they get their first true leaves then move them to my solar greenhouse. The reason is its too cold to start seeds in feb in my greenhouse with temps from 32 to 80 every day! Once they start the temp does not seem to hurt them. Actually I think the plant gets tuffer with the temp change.

I have some changes I made as far as the media depth. I am putting a inch layer of sand at the bottom of each container with a inch of potting mix above it mixed with sand. I put a layer about 1/8 inch of strained potting and sand for the base to set the seeds on! With this fine strained mix I can see every seed even very small ones.

I wet the bottom layers before I put the fine mix on top! After I place the seeds on the surface I strain another 1/8 or 1/4 over the seeds and pat down! I cover the container with plastic till the seeds emerge. I place the box near the heat vent which allos the seeds to emerge within 7 days! It has worked great so far. I have 2 - 4 foot lights in the basement about a foot above the boxes! Some of my tomatoes have the second leaves coming! All my bigger boxes about 12 by 15 I put inside a plastic garbage bag so the soil mix has plastic under it and is very clean! The white plastic that the soil is placed on that covers the box keeps the moisture in and at the same time reflects the light back onto the plants.

I am using a different way to water the seedlings at the start and after they emerge by spraying them with water in a spray bottle that does not disturb the seedlings at all and coats every seedling with water. which they seem to absorbe quickly! I plan on using a very dilute mixture of miracle grow blue liquid to spary them when the true leaves emerge. What do you think?

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

I am a very big proponent of bottom watering my seedlings. I have found that they grow better from seed, and even when you plant them outdoors. I would assume it is because I train the plant roots to go deep to find the water. I have done side by side comparison between top watering and bottom watering with a noticeable difference in size of the bottom watered plants.

I also steer clear of watering with MG. I have spent loads of time keeping my seedlings healthy to not get the mix just right on the last watering before up potting, and lost them all. That being said, I know loads of people that have good luck with MG and have plants that do great using it.

As far as your germination method, I feel that you have it down pat. Sand and sifted potting mix are the best ways to get your roots a good soil to easily tunnel though. I also feel that your heating of the soil from the vent underneath is a great idea. It should keep the soil at an acceptable temperature.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Check these Key hole gardens especially the one with concrete blocks. I would use the 4 inch block or brick with the smaller holes!

Keyhole Gardens | Photos
https://www.facebook.com/keyholegardens/photos

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”