LA47
Green Thumb

What did I do wrong with my broccoli plants

My broccoli seedlings are growing but stems emerging from the soil looks too thin and weak to hold them up. The top growth looks healthy but the stems are curved and not growing straight up.
003 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those are classic pictures of damping off, with the stem thinned at the base and a little bit brownish. It is a fungal disease that young seedlings are prone to in conditions of too much moisture/ humidity and too little air circulation.

Is it not warm enough where you are to get your broccoli seedlings outdoors? Broccoli is very cold hardy and frost tolerant once hardened off. Damping off never (in my experience) happens to seedlings that are outdoors.

Do your cups have plenty of drainage holes?

In the meantime, the bad news is that you can try getting them out, but you may not be able to save them. Once they are floppy from damping off, it might be too late. Damping off can be prevented, but not really cured. Prevention is being careful not to keep the soil too wet, keeping good air circulation (like a fan for indoor seedlings) and putting a little cinnamon (natural anti-fungal) in the water you water with.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

but they're not "damped off" - or?....

it looks like to much tender growth too fast -
which is typically too much heat and/or too much fertilizer
coupled with not enough light.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dilbert - how do you know they are not damped off?

Looks pretty much like it to me.

applestar
Mod

Hmm... These could also be differentiation between the thinner, woodier looking hypocotyl (stem between roots and cotyledons/seed leaves ) and the (whatever it's called) thicker watering-looking "true stem -- for lack of better word" above the cotyledons since the cotyledons appear to have dropped off.

And I agree they look elongated and in need of stronger light.

I would suggest burying them deeper to either the base of the first true leaf or even up to 2nd true leaf using somewhat sandy mix in the upper portions, and -- after 24 hr recuperation -- putting them outside in the sun whenever temps are above freezing (say 35°F or higher) Obviously acclimate/harden off gradually and give them stronger light (closer to the light bulb, more light fixtures, etc. adjustments may be necessary) when they are inside.

It looks like you could accomplish this by opening a "trench" with a tool (plastic knife, erc.) and gently pushing the rest of the plant down into the soil mix, and covering up to desired level. (sandy mix would be heavy enough to hold them down. If not you can make an U-pin out of paper clip) No, the plant won't look centered anymore -- live with it. :wink: (I say this with a great deal of self admonishing humor because it bugs me when plants are not centered in their containers :> )

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

[quote="rainbowgardener"]Dilbert - how do you know they are not damped off?

Looks pretty much like it to me.

[img]https://hort.uwex.edu/sites/default/file ... %20Off.png[/img][/quote]

the image you included clearly shows the shrunken stems and wilted leaves.

the OP photos do not demonstrate that problem.

LA47
Green Thumb

Most of the plants don't look as bad as these 2, thank goodness. I believe it was the heat mats. I had the tomatoes and broccoli together. I read one post that tomatoes need a liitle more warmth even after sprouting. When I posted photos, someone warned me that the broccoli needed OFF the heat mat. I think it was too late then. I Will do as suggested and lay the worst ones in a trench...will the stem form roots like tomatoes do? I have been setting my plants out on the warmer days but didn't realize broccoli could stand that much cold....after being hardened off. It will be time to plant them in the garden in 2 weeks by then.
Do you have to plant plants or, next year can I just plant seeds? I live in zone 4 so our summers rarely get over 85. Thanks for helping me out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

no the broccoli stems do not root like tomatoes do.

And no you don't have to have plants, some things can be direct seeded in the ground. But especially with the short growing season you have, if you waited until the ground was warm enough to put tomato and pepper seeds in it, then planted them, you would not have any fruits by the time freezes came back in the fall. Broccoli is also slow enough that direct seeded in the ground, it has trouble making heads before it gets too hot for it.

Peas, beans, corn, squash, melons, and all the quick growing stuff is usually direct seeded in the ground.

If you are just doing a few tomatoes, peppers, etc, you might find it just as easy to buy plants for transplanting at your friendly local nursery (not big box).

applestar
Mod

Burying to true leaves giv them stability. The hypocotyl is always thinner and unable to support the top heavy upper part. Doing this works for all the brassicas and works for lettuce, too.

LA47
Green Thumb

Okay, I glad I can do something to help them. I was afraid they were not plant able.
I enjoy growing my own seeds and also I get exactly the type of plant I want. Not even the nursery's carry a paste tomato but I like to make my own tomato paste. I would not have been able to try the tomatoes that the webmaster gave to so many. So I do it for a wider variety of plants, to save money ( I have started 140 different plants) , and I really enjoy it.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”