nancygene

Miracle Grow and Fish Emollient

Last year when I started seeds, I used a rather cheap potting soil and fish emollient and everything was fine. This year I used Miracle Grow potting soil and the bag says it will feed up to 6 months. My question is, will it hurt to use the fish emollient on the plants, too, or not? The reason I am asking is because I think the potting soil I used is mainly for flowers and not veggies. I know this may sound stupid, but is there a difference between Miracle Grow potting soil for flowers and Miracle Grow potting soil for veggies?
Your help is appreciated.

applestar
Mod

Is it OK if I chuckle a little, because I think you mean fish "emulsion" ... But I immediately thought that skin care products are generally called "emulsions" and "emollients" and guessed that's where the confusion came from. :wink:

Fish Emulsion is generally considered a nitrogen source.

Check the bag and if you want additional nitrogen -- green leafy and initial foliage growth -- then it might be warranted. For fruiting crop like tomatoes, suppers, peas, etc. too much nitrogen after initial growth period can delay or reduce blooming and fruit setting though promoting lush vegetative growth.

Seedlings are usually fertilized at a fraction of strength, so you might want to take tat into consideration, too.

imafan26
Mod

Check the bag for the NPK on the label. If the fertilizer lasts 6 months it is probably slow release and it will probably be fine.

Flowers and fruits like the same ratio of NPK. Higher on the phosphorus. Leafy vegetables can go higher on the nitrogen.

I have used MG potting soil before for tomatoes and have gotten good results. I supplemented the fertilizer because tomatoes are heavy feeders. Compost tea works well too. Just don't go overboard with the nitrogen or you will get a lot more vegetative growth.

*dim*
Cool Member

I use 3 products continuosly during the growing season, and use it as a foliar feed on all plants including palms, perennials, veg etc and spray the leaves top and bottom when the sun sets in the evening)

I feed weekly and alternate the 3 products

the 3 products are:

Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice Grow (made from fish extract, guano, earthworm castings, yucca, krill, alfalfa, volcanic ash etc)

Biobizz alg-a-mic (made from a high grade, organic seaweed concentrate extracted through cold pressing)

Biobizz Fish Mix (made from hydrolyzed (enzyme-digested) fish protein )

all these are available from most hydroponic stores or on ebay .... dilute it at 4ml per litre of water (so, you get 250 litres of top class organic foliar feed fertilizer per liitre of nutrient)

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”