iangagn

Grow my seedlings!

I've recently started to plant my vegetable seeds in Jiffy containers and I've noticed a little mold on some of them. I suspect it is because I have overwatered them and/or because I have not taken the necessary precautionary measures to avoid such an issue. I would be very grateful for anyone to answer any of these questions:

How humid do the pellets need to be?

I've heard that mixing the water with a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide will help avoid fungi, what's your take on that? When should I stop doing it?

Someone has told me that I should put a few seeds in each pellet so as to make sure that one of them germinates but I realize that nearly all of them have, so I'm stuck with pellets that have 3-4 seedlings. Should I separate them? Is it really necessary to put several seeds at a time in a single pellet?

Some people advocate watering the pellets from the bottom, why?

I have removed the fungi with a dry towel and set up a small fan a few feet away to dry the seedlings a bit. I have made sure that there is no excess wind so as not to kill the plants. What else do you recommend I should do?

I'm going to start another batch, but this time I will be careful not to overwater and I will also add a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide for every gallon of water I pour over the pellets.

Thank you for helping,
ig

PS. If you have anything else to suggest, it would also be greatly appreciated! :D

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>How humid do the pellets need to be?
not humid at all. the top surface should dry. many folks use a fan to ensure air circulation - and no you can't kill seedlings with a gentle breeze. in fact, the slight movements air circulation makes encourages the seedling stems to grow stronger.

>>tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide will help avoid fungi
only if you're trying to grow blonde plants.
it'll zap tender seedling roots, don't do it.

>>separate many sprouts
yes but impractical - triple especially when using pellets. I pretty much always use two seeds per cell/pot/whatever and snip off the least good looking after the true leaves appear.

unpleasant reality: one cannot save every seedling in the world; some must die.

>>why water from the bottom.
to keep the top dry - the 'top' is where too much moisture does its dirty deed aka "damping off" aka dead sprouts.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

The fan will serve a dual function, helping reduce mold/fungus and also to help grow stronger plants. The wind action causes the plants to develop thicker outer layers. This makes them more resistant to wind damage when first going outside.

I always bottom water my youngest plants, mostly as it doesn't disturb the soil nearly as much. When bottom watered, you will never be getting the foliage wet, therefore are not encouraging disease growth on the plants themselves. Also the plants are more likely to just draw what they need as long as too much water isn't poured into the bottom tray.

iangagn

Many thanks! :lol:

MikeFIT

With the Jiffy pots, I've been using a big syringe/plunger from one of my son's child Benadryl or cough medicines... I just shove it up the bottom of the Jiffy and plunge the water in. I imagine it gets pretty close or just shy of the root and pretty sure I am giving adequate water without overdoing it. I am seeing good production with tomatoes, carrots and basil...

Also, I over plant my seeds so I can relate. Two of my tomato Jiffy pots has about 6 seedlings that have come up all closely bunched. I am thinking to pull maybe three and leave three of them..thoughts?

My carrots have about ten tiny seedlings just starting to pop through in one of my Jiffys. They are spaced apart in the Jiffy, but I imagine as they get bigger I should pluck some of them out, I'm just wondering how many to pluck and how many can stay...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never used the pellets, so don't know what it is like moving things out of them.

Eventually, you need to end up with basically one plant per pot. If you have places to put them, you can move the extras (as many as you have room in your garden to plant) in to their own pots, rather than just killing them.

Carrots are usually directed seeded in the ground, as soon as the ground can be worked in the spring. They don't transplant well. What you want in a carrot is a nice straight root. It is not impossible, but difficult to get that transplanting them.

MikeFIT

Thanks. This is first time doing carrots and now know to not start them inside. Would it be better to try transplanting them while tiny then or, since they are already inside maybe I should keep them going a little longer to get them a little more durable first and them transplant them?

I think we are getting snow here this week in Maryland, so I could maybe look at planting them next week.

imafan26
Mod

I have always had problems with the peat pellets. I always get dampening off and the fungi and mold grow.

I had also used peat pots. They did a little better, but they actually dried out too fast and they deformed easily.

They were expensive too. It was so much less trouble to plant in a flat or individual recycled pots and yogurt cups.

I even made pots out of newspaper, same problems and the pots were hard to handle since they easily fell apart trying to pick them up.

The biodegradable pots sound like a great idea, but since I don't have that high a mortality rate transplanting seedlings, and most things pop out of the pot, looking like a pot, I haven't had a need for them. :roll:

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

Dillbert wrote:>>tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide will help avoid fungi
only if you're trying to grow blonde plants.
it'll zap tender seedling roots, don't do it.
I use hydrogen peroxide and water in all my plastic baggies and spray it directly onto the coffee filter when I am germinating. I have sprayed the soil and the leaves of seedlings all the way though the growing cycle. It does not hurt the plants at all and keeps the mold down to 0%.

I also use more potent of a mix. I use 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to 1 qt of tap water.

I have NEVER seen negative effects from it and this is what my germination looks like

and solid growth 1 month later

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Couple of things, as RBG said carrots and other roots should be direct seeded, root crops espeacially don't like being disturbed.

One more thing DO NOT use the jiffy pots/pellets again. Use a seed starter soil or start them in coffee filter/paper towels as indy was showing. I really can't belive they still sell them and no offense to you, you didn't know. :wink: They are notorious for getting that fungus on them, they also can dry a plant out if not monotered correctly. They act as a sponge taking all the moisutre from the soil. More problems to me than good, just my take on this. YMMV :D

Susan W
Greener Thumb

OK, I am a fan of peat pellets, and don't use the pots. I am starting a few seeds, much variety, in micro spaces. I use the 10 or 12 tray, is small. When planted goes to top of frig with the plastic cover set ajar. If it stays looking too wet, or sign of sprout, take off cover, move to table. That has better light (lamps & windows). Also there is a heat register under the table. The little trays get moved around there, perhaps to sunny window sill or to another shelf area with window and lamps.

I am casual on watering, water from the top. Once growing alternate fish fert and weakened MG.

Once big enough, go to 4" pots or some go larger (comfrey and Baptisia now going straight to larger). When you up pot, tear down the fiber side of pellet, put in pot with whatever soil you are using. I put 2 basils in a 4" diagonally, marjoram gets 3.

Hope this helps!

IndyGerdener
Green Thumb

dixi cups then up potted to red solo cups WAY CHEAP!!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Low cost is great! As I am working with micro spaces, and not growing alot of any one thing, find the small trays of peat pellets workable. I do have to get a few new trays, but mostly refill boxes of starter pellets. As for going bigger, I like the 4' plastic pots. I had a mess left from last summer (from starts I bought). I picked up a mess today at the garden center, no charge. I also got a few more flat trays. Just as they are designed, 18 pots fit neatly in the tray! I say no charge, but in reality that is a bonus for me as a frequent shopper!

My purchase there today was 2 bags of cotton burr compost, product from Natures Best. Now if we get a few pretty days in the next week there will be some action in the garden beds!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”