dtlove129

Fall Crops

I'm in zone 5, and was wondering when you start your fall seeds indoors. I'm going to grow broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce. I'll direct sow the lettuce, but want to start the other 2 indoors.

I'm guessing I'll want to plant outside around the first of August is that what other zone 5er's do for the Fall crops?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I usually buy transplants for cabbage family. Germination can be tricky at temperatures over 60 degrees or so. I did try collards inside one year, and got decent germination and results. Those were started in late August for here in zone 8 central South Carolina. But in general I can get much larger, healthier plants from our local nursery or even from Lowes. At about 25 cents per plant, the return on investment is still excellent, as fall crops cost almost nothing to grow. It is a great time of the gardening year, as the plants mostly grow on auto pilot, and we just stroll to the garden to harvest. IMO fall gardening is the closest thing that there is to maintenance free gardening.

Our late summer/fall garden includes tomatoes, summer squash, zucchini, cucumber, peppers, green beans, lettuce, arugula.

Our fall/winter garden usually includes kale, collards, parsley, cilantro, lettuce, arugula, broccoli, garlic. This year I'll also plant some kohlrabi.

While the deer usually don't bother the summer garden, they can be a problem in the fall. This year I'll protect beans and cucumbers with wire barriers. Also will cover the broccoli as the deer seem to love it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Why start it indoors?

I start broccoli indoors in the spring, because the ground is still frozen at the time I like to start it, to give it a good start and still get planted in the ground in early spring. That's not an issue for fall crop and I just plant it in the ground. I don't usually grow cauliflower, but it is a close relative of broccoli and I would treat it the same.

My lettuce I direct seed in the ground spring and fall. It is quick growing and quick sprouting and doesn't need the head start.

For a fall crop I would plant in August. Last year I planted broccoli and spinach seed directly in the ground mid-October. It didn't make a fall crop, but it over-wintered and did great in early spring, so I think I will do it again, probably plant in August and Oct.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Our soil surface temperatures are still hitting 90 degrees or hotter into late September, so direct seeded doesn't work for a fall crop. This year I think that I'll take your advice and direct seed some broccoli in September/October and let the plants over winter. Sounds like a great way to get an early spring harvest, if I can keep the deer away from the young plants.

I may also try direct seeding some plants in a shady location in late May to Mid June. Perhaps those plants will grow slowly and survive the heat of summer to be transplanted in a fresh bed to hopefully give a fall crop. Will be worth an experiment!

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”