Avonnow
Green Thumb

Seedlings

I have a couple of question, what is a good fertilizer to use on seedlings, when they have about 4 leaves. Also I started most of mine Jan 8th and have since transplanted them into larger 5 inch small containers, when do you take them from the 5 inch to something bigger, or should I go right to the ground. I notice with my Broccoli, I took a few and when I put them in bigger pots they did tend to get bigger then the other. Am I slowing the growth by gradually increasing the size of the container. Should I go up to something bigger like a large pot or the ground sooner. I have tomatos and peppers right now. The Squash plants got big quick and are already in the ground, the pepppers and tomatos - is like watching a slug move, they are so slooowwwwww to grow! At this rate it will be Autumn before they have tomatos (I know no patience) So any suggestions. I am in Florida and the days have been gorgeous, today around 78 so they are outside in the sun most of the time since I transplanted them. I thought maybe they need a pick me up. Thanks as always :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I use fish emulsion as the first fertilizer, but new seedlings are very tender and really don't need anything for awhile. Fertilizer can easily damage the delicate roots.

Trying to force a plant to grow faster than it is genetically coded to can cause it to be weak and spindly, like plants that don't get enough light. Such plants are more susceptible to diseases and insect infestations.

Patience will give you a sturdy, healthy plant. :)

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I'm like you, no patience. :) But those tomatoes are doing just fine. Once they get going a bit, they stop top growth and seem to almost exclusively work on growing their root system. Then all of the sudden they take off again. Same with peppers. My tomatoes tend to spend about 3 weeks or even a little longer in this root growing stage. But don't worry, when that stage is done they grow in leaps and bounds!

One other thing I have noticed from your post, you said it has been in the 70's. Beautiful weather indeed, but tomatoes like it warmer than that. 80's and 90's. By me, when the fall is on the way and the days cool down to the 70's, that's when I get ready for the tomatoes to slow down tremendously. I'm not sure how this affects the plants on the other end of the growing cycle, but I'm sure they'd like it a little warmer. So expect the growth to be a little slower until you consistently reach warmer temps. And don't forget, even in florida, (ft. lauderdale boy here) it is even cooler at night.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”