applestar
Mod

Muesli for Breakfast

As I mentioned in this thread : Cultured Probiotics - kefir, kombucha, lacto-ferments...
applestar wrote:I'm loving having muesli for breakfast. After reading the above article [which said kefir probiotics can withstand moderately hot water if mixed into chilled kefir], I have been adding hot water to the bowl to make creamy and take the chill off.

Here is today's muesli -- rolled oats, rinsed millet, 1 each chopped soft dried date and apricot, and simple trail mix (craisin, cashew, almond). I mixed it last night with a tablespoon of heavy cream kefir and enough cow's milk kefir to soak the oats, then ate it this morning with a pat of butter, pure maple syrup, and enough hot water to make it the consistency I like.

I had heard about muesli before, but only as rolled oats mixed with yogurt. I don't remember hearing that you do the mixing the night before at the time. I do remember reading about *soaking* grains including oatmeal overnight in water, but hadn't put the two together, and neither method by itself made appealing result for me back then.

But recently, a German friend introduced me to the idea of mixing kefir with rolled oats, millet, and chia seeds (and nuts and fruits) the night before when I started growing kefir. (BTW this corningware bowl is perfect for making individual serving because it has a tight fitting lid)

I'd love to hear more combo ideas if anyone else makes this. Obviously, you can use yogurt or kefir.

Dirt

Nice.

You may want to consider staying close to a restroom!

applestar
Mod

You think? Actually has not been a problem in my family.

In fact kefir is a collection/compendium of terrific probiotics -- even more so than yogurt -- and greatly improves your digestive flora/fauna population, and thereby effectiveness and efficiency. Eating muesli (uncooked grain, nuts, and dried/fresh fruits) like this in fact feeds the good microbes in your system and protects against errant bad microbes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is Muesli and Kefir a high protein breakfast or carbohydrate?

I am getting tired of eating what my body requires for breakfast every morning 75% protein and 25% carbs, I am always looking for something new for breakfast to keep my blood sugar under control.

applestar
Mod

I imagine it varies according to how much of what you put in. I didn't realize but they sell pre-blended "cereal" muesli too. Mine are simply old fashioned oatmeal and whatever fruit and nuts I feel like using.

I'm guessing protein content will depend on amount in the milk used to make the kefir and maybe the nuts?

I have no idea if this is accurate, but I found this:

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calori ... 5?v2=false
Calories in Homemade Muesli Nuts,Dried Fruit Oats
Nutrition Facts
Homemade Muesli - Nuts,Dried Fruit Oats
Servings: 1 cup
Calories 235 Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 12 g Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 30 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g Protein 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0% Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
...and this

https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-ma ... -in-kefir/
Kefir can be made with many different kinds of milk, be it non-dairy or dairy milk. It differs in calories and nutritional differences depending on which type of milk you use. Kefir is far superior to regular milk. Fermentation is the alchemy of milk. It chemically breaks down milk with its abundance of bacteria and yeasts and converts the carbohydrates in the milk to lactic acid, leaving the milk with almost no lactose. It preserves the vitamins and minerals and increases C and B vitamins.
Kefir has one gram of sugar

Kefir has one gram of sugar per 8 ounces once the fermentation process is done. It has quite a bit less than yogurt (yogurt is 4 percent sugar) as the bacteria consume the sugars and 99% of the lactose which greatly reduces the sugars.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”