imafan26
Mod

Eggplant Recipes

Evil Jungle Prince with Chicken
Keo Sananikone coined the name of this dish, a name that has been copied on many a Thai menu. He explained its genesis: evil for the spiciness of the dish, jungle for the basil that grows wild, and prince for white breast meat, fit for royalty. It’s a simple, intensely flavored combination of classic Thai ingredients.

Evil Jungle Prince with Chicken and Vegetables
1/2 pound chicken
1 cup combination of vegetables: Eggplant, asparagus, beans, baby corn, straw mushrooms, bean sprouts, tofu (instead of chicken if you want to make it vegetarian), bamboo shoots, zucchini.
2 to 6 small red chili peppers
1/2 stalk fresh lemongrass
2 kaffir lime leaves
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 3 tablespoons fish sauce
10 to 15 fresh sweet basil leaves
1 cup chopped cabbage

Thinly slice chicken into 2-inch strips. Prepare vegetables by cutting into bite sized pieces. Drain canned mushrooms, bamboo strips, young corn if you are using it, julienne beans and asparagus. Cut eggplant and zucchini into thin coins. If you are using tofu, use firm or extra firm and drain tofu for 15 minutes and pat dry before dicing and add it at the end of cooking so it does not break up. Grind together red chili peppers, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves in a food processor or pound in a mortar. Heat oil to medium-high and sauté pepper mixture for three minutes. Stir in coconut milk and cook for two minutes. Add chicken and vegetables; cook for five minutes or until done. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in salt and fish sauce and basil. Serve on bed of chopped cabbage. Serves three to four people.

Spicy garlic eggplant
https://thewoksoflife.com/2014/08/chines ... lic-sauce/

Tortang Talong Recipe ( Eggplant Omelette)
This is a recipe for a Filipino breakfast eggplant omelette usually served with rice. Let's face it, rice is served at every meal.

Prep time
15 mins
Cook time
12 mins
Total time
27 mins

Author: Vanjo Merano
Serves: 4
Ingredients
4 pieces Chinese eggplant
2 pieces raw eggs
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp cooking oil
Instructions
Grill the eggplant until the color of skin turns almost black
Let the eggplant cool for a while then peel off the skin. Set aside.
Crack the eggs and place in a bowl
Add salt and beat
Place the eggplant on a flat surface and flatten using a fork.
Dip the flattened eggplant in the beaten egg mixture
Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil
Fry the eggplant (that was dipped in the beaten mixture). Makes sure that both sides are cooked. Frying time will take you about 3 to 4 minutes per side on medium heat.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 4

THAI RED CURRY WITH TOFU AND EGGPLANT
This is a vegetarian version of Thai curry. It usually uses the small round green petch type eggplant. It is seedy and hard but works well in this recipe because it does not fall apart and Thai's prefer a little bitterness. A good substitute would be Kermit eggplant. It is not as seedy and it is a little larger but will work.

PREP TIME
5 mins
COOK TIME
25 mins
TOTAL TIME
30 mins

Author: Alissa
Recipe type: Entree
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
2½ cups (about 1½ cans) coconut milk
1 tablespoon red curry paste (store-bought or homemade), or to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium eggplant, sliced into ¼ to ½ inch thick strips
1 onion, sliced
1 lb. extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for at least 15 minutes
1 red bell pepper, sliced
½ cup fresh basil
INSTRUCTIONS
Place coconut milk and curry paste in large saucepan. Stir to blend.
Coat a large skillet with vegetable oil and place over medium heat. Arrange eggplant strips in a single layer. Cook until browned on each side, about 3 minutes per side.
Transfer eggplant to saucepan with coconut milk and curry. Add onion. Bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes, while you prepare your tofu.
Cut tofu into bite sized cubes or strips. Place in your skillet (the one you used for the eggplant) and heat to medium-high. Cook until lightly browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
Transfer tofu to saucepan with coconut milk and curry. Add red pepper and simmer another 5 minutes, until tender.
Add basil just before serving.
Serve with rice.

Pork and Eggplant Stirfry
Ingredients:
1 pork tenderloin, about 1 lb., silverskin removed or 1 lb ground pork
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 eggplant, about 1 lb.
2 Tbs. chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
1 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
3 Tbs. peanut or canola oil
1 Tbs. peeled and grated fresh ginger
6 green onions, white and light green portions, 4 halved lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch pieces, 2 finely chopped

Directions:
Put the pork tenderloin in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm it up for slicing. Cut into strips about 1/2 inch thick, 2 inches long and 3/4 inch wide. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cut the eggplant into strips of the same size.

In a small bowl, whisk together the chili-garlic sauce, sesame oil and vinegar until smooth. Set aside.

In a wok or large fry pan over high heat, warm 2 Tbs. of the peanut oil until very hot. Add the eggplant and stir-fry until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger and the green onion pieces and stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer the vegetables to a platter.

Add the remaining 1 Tbs. peanut oil to the wok over high heat and swirl to coat. Add the pork, distributing it evenly, and cook without moving it for about 20 seconds. Using a metal spatula, toss and stir the pork every 15 to 20 seconds until browned, about 3 minutes. Return the vegetables to the pan and add the chili-garlic mixture. Reduce the heat to medium and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes to blend the flavors and warm through. Scatter with the chopped green onions and serve immediately. Serves 4.

Adapted from Williams-Sonoma One Pot of the Day, by Kate McMillan (Weldon Owen, 2012).

Simple Pork & Eggplant
This is a favorite simple and quick dish of ours making use of the beautiful eggplant.Make it as spicy as you like adding your favorite oriental hot sauce. Serve with steamed rice or over your favorite noodles.

Posted By: Deirdre K Todd
Tags:DeirdreJapaneseLocalPork

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 10 minutes | Ready In: 20 minutes
Ingredients:

3 TB vegetable oil
1 ½ lb. ground pork
½ medium onion, chopped
2 medium Japanese eggplant, thinly sliced
1 TB cornstarch mixed with 3 TB water
Sauce:
6 TB oyster sauce
2 TB chili bean paste, as desired
4 TB brown sugar
4 TB Aloha shoyu
2 tsp. ginger, grated
1 tsp. sesame seed oil

Cooking Process:

In a skillet or wok over medium high heat; stir fry pork, onion and eggplant in oil until pork is cooked through. In a small mixing bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Add into skillet. Cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in cornstarch slurry until slightly thickened. Serves 4.

Baingan Bharta
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014 ... gan-bharta

Eggplant caponata
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... ecipe.html

Basic Pork and Eggplant
1/2 lb pork shoulder sliced thin
2 eggplant cut into 1 inch chunks (keep it in water so it does not brown)
1/2 onion minced
1/2 cup chicken broth or pork broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons mirin or sherry
1 tsp sugar
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tbl oil

Stir fry pork slices in oil in 2 quart sauce pan until browned, add garlic and onion and stir fry on medium heat until onion turns transluscent, do not burn garlic. Add chicken or pork broth, soy sauce, and sugar and simmer for 30 minutes. I usually do not need to add salt but you can add salt, fish sauce or oyster sauce if you like it saltier. Add mirin or sherry. Drain egglant and add to pot; cover and simmer on low until eggplant are cooked about 10 minutes. Serve hot over steamed rice.
Last edited by imafan26 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Thank you! I'm coming back to study these recipes -- they sound delicious. 8)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Awesome! Awesome! AWESOME!!!

I'm a huge fan of Thai Style curries, and we make them often here! We never use eggplant, but now Imma have to fix that! Thank you so much for posting these, Imafan!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Mmmm! Thank you for sharing! I'm making the Evil Jungle Prince ASAP! :)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those sound great, imafan! I'm another who puts eggplant in a lot of Thai curries. And Indian curries, too, for that matter.

Here is an eggplant dish that I have made probably more than any other. Though this, and many other dishes say to peel the EP, I rarely do this, except to peel off some spots on them.

Szechwan Eggplant

1/2 lb pork or turkey; ground
3 tb dark soy sauce
1 tb sesame oil
8 scallions; sliced
8 cloves garlic; minced
1 inch ginger; minced
1 lb eggplant; in 3/4 in. cubes
4 tb oil
2 tb chili paste with garlic
1 tb Sugar
2/3 cup water

A. Peel eggplant, if necessary, before cubing. Combine meat, soy, sesame oil, and half the scallions in a bowl. Place all ing. in separate piles on a work platter.

B. Heat wok or 10" saute pan over high heat; add oil and heat 30 sec. Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry 30 sec. Add chili paste and SF 30 sec. Add meat mixture and SF 2 min., or until red is gone. Add EP, reduce heat slightly and SF 4 min. Add sugar and SF 2 min. longer.

C. Stir in reserved scallions and water. Cover and cook over medium heat 15 minutes, stirring a few times, until the EP is tender. At this point 1/2 lb dry pasta, cooked until quite firm, may be stirred into the dish, then covered and let sit off heat to absorb flavors. Or it may be served as a vegetable dish, with rice and a couple of other spicy dishes. Easily doubled.

Here's another delicious recipe. The dried shrimp was an option in the original recipe, but I think it is one of the essential flavors in this recipe. I have made it with both cilantro and mint, and prefer the cilantro.

Shan Eggplant - Makeva Oop

1 1/2 lbs eggplant; 1/4 in slices
7 thai dragons; chopped
1/4 cup(s) shallots; chopped
5 clove(s) garlic; minced
1 1/2 tsp fish sauce
4 tsp dried shrimp
1 6 oz tomato; chopped
2 tb oil
4 oz pork; ground
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup mint or cilantro leaves; torn

A. Soak peppers and shrimp in warm water 15 min. Make a paste with the shallots, garlic, salt, shrimp, peppers, and tomato in a blender or mortar, adding a little soaking water, if necessary. If using asian eggplant leave whole, large EP quarter lengthwise, then slice 1/4" thick.

B. Heat oil in NS wok, fry the meat 15 sec., then add the paste. Cook over med. heat until well reduced and aromatic, about 2 min. Add EP and toss to coat the pieces. Reduce to low heat, cover, and steam in it's own juices 45 min. to an hour, until very tender. Toss every 5 min or so in beginning, to keep from sticking. Serve warm or room temp, topped with herbs.

Here's a delicious recipe, that is easy to prepare, as long as you have the nam prik pao.

Eggplant and Bell Peppers in Nam Prik Pao

1 1/4 lb eggplant; in 1 in. cubes
3 tb oil
8 whole dried chile peppers
1 tb garlic; coarsely minced
1 large onion; sliced thin
2 tb nam prik pao
1 tb palm sugar
1 tb water
1 tb fish sauce
1 large red bell pepper; cut into strips

Heat wok over med-high heat; add oil, the, the garlic and onion, and stir fry 2 min. Add eggplant and cook over med. heat 5-7 min., or until begining to get tender, tossing frequently. Add remaining ing., and mix well, to dissolve sugar. Cook 2 min. longer, tossing a few times. Serve hot or warm.

And a favorite in the summer, using many of those veggies from the garden. I rarely use zucchini in this any more, partly because of SVBs not allowing me to grow it, plus, I like the eggplant better! In place of the two of them, I usually use 5 good sized Asian eggplants.

Ratatouille

6 tb olive oil
3 medium zucchini
1 medium eggplant
3 medium onions; chopped
2 medium bell peppers; in 1 in. dice
1/8 tsp bay leaf; powdered
4 clove(s) garlic; minced
2 lbs tomatoes; peeled
1/2 cup(s) parsley (fresh); chopped
1 1/2 tsp thyme (fresh)
1 tb basil (fresh); chopped

A. Quarter the zucchini lengthwise and cut into 1" pieces. Cut the eggplant into 1" cubes. Heat 3 tb oil in a 12" sauté pan; add the zucchini and eggplant and cook 5 min. over med-high heat, tossing frequently. Turn out onto a platter and add the rest of the oil to the pan, along with the onions and peppers. Cook 2 min., then add garlic and bay leaf and cook 3 min. Cut tomatoes into 1" cubes and add to pan. Simmer 10 min., stirring a few times; the sauce should be fairly thick, but not a paste. Add vegetables and herbs, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook over low heat 15 min., or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot or cold.

And here's a favorite of mine, of which I still have one or two pints frozen. This is another I use all eggplant in, in place of the zucchini.

Ratatouille Soup

2 lbs tomatoes; very ripe
2 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion; chopped
2 cloves garlic; minced
1-2 small hot chiles; (optional)
3/4 cup(s) red bell pepper; chopped
3/4 cup(s) zucchini; chopped
3/4 cup(s) eggplant; peeled, chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves; OR 1/2 tsp dry
2 tb basil (fresh); chopped
2 tb parsley (fresh); chopped
2 cup(s) chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 tsp salt; to taste
1/4 tsp black pepper; to taste
1 tb snipped chives; for garnish

A. Peel tomatoes (unless using Vitamix), core, and cut into 3/4 in. chunks. Heat oil in a 3 qt saucepan over med. heat; add onion and garlic and cook 1 min. Add zucchini, eggplant, and pepper (and chiles, if used) and cook until soft, but not browned, about 5 min. Add tomatoes, stock, herbs, salt and pepper, and chiles, if used. Bring to a simmer, and cook 15 min., or until all is soft.

B. Purée in a blender until smooth. Serve hot or cold, garnished with a few chives if cold, and a small sprig of basil if hot.

Note: I often make a version of this recipe using leftover ratatoille and a little stock or water - one of the "hot soups" I make in the vita-mix from cold ingredients, since they are already cooked.

The eggplant, squash, and pepper amounts are approximate - I usually just put in one small EP and squash (or two eggplants, since I can't grow squash!), and a good sized bell pepper., in 1/2 or 3/4 in chunks.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”