applestar
Mod

Brazilian Flan

I'm on a custard kick :D
This really has no garden goodies in it (unless you have a milchcow) but it one of our family faves when we eat out so I tried to make some.

First try according to standard recipe floating around -- 1 c sugar for the caramel, 3 eggs, one 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk, one can of whole milk. (I've been wanting to make this for a long time but I only recently started seeing organic sweetened condensed milk on the store shelves, and hopefully, these won't have the concealed possible toxicity in the conventional ones from concentrated harmful elements.)

Just for fun, I covered the surface of the caramel sugar with semi-sweet chocolate bits before adding the custard. 50 minutes ar 350°F, uncovered in pan of hot waterbath. After chilling the finished flan for 4 hours, caramel syrup still hadn't formed -- needed at least 6 hrs to overnight. Flan turned out very dense... Almost cake like, which was how it was at a local Brazillian restaurant and we did rave about it there.... But there wasn't enough caramel syrup and it seemed like the moisture in the flan had been sucked dry by the caramel.

The chocolate was good but too much -- maybe just a scattering would be acceptable. I also accidentally nearly burned the first caramel sugar so I scooped most of it out onto a buttered parchment (later broke up the hardened candy and am using to sweeten coffee and tea 8) ) and simply made a second batch with darkened carmel still stuck to the bottom of the corningware -- The 2nd caramel sugar was still too dark/strong and hardened/crystallized to the bottom of the corningware.

So for the 2nd try, I added extra 2/3 can of milk to the custard (and a tsp of vanilla) and poured it onto the hardened sugar from the first batch after we finished eating it -- I warmed a bit first in the preheating oven. This time covered with the glass lid, 50 minute at 350°F in hot water bath. The surface came out less brown/baked dry. 6 hours definitely allowed enough time for the sugar to draw out the flan's moisture and start the syrup making process. By next morning, there was plenty of syrup. :D This one was creamy and delicious (BUT I forgot to strain the custard with a fine strainer while pouring over the caramel sugar :roll: ) ...so there was an unpleasant grainy mouthfeel from protein bits that had floated to the top :?
image.jpg
(that dark blob is a piece of chocolate)

-- I'll get it right next time :> (I need more practice to get the sugar melting process down -- the second one, with slightly burned sugar flavor from the first one, actually tasted delicious, so it will be a trick to only partially scorch the sugar to get that undefinable flavor -- I know under scorched caramel tastes sweet but doesn't get that flavor)

:idea: I think this will be good with the coconut custard I made with the Thai Pumpkin Custard :idea:

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Flan the recipe looks simple enough, but its all in the execution. Keep on keepin' on.

I find yorkshire pudding is a dopelganger of flan, in that it looks easy but the doin' is in the deed.

Fer what its worth, starting with fully room temperature stuff (eggs milk and canned milk) may be more important than your recipe tells you.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”