webmaster
Site Admin

Re: Vegetarian Thanksgiving Recipes

Happy Thanksgiving!

applestar
Mod

Happy Thanksgiving Day everyone

I have it easy today since I'm not responsible for anything -- so I'm just taking a jar each of hot pepper jelly and sweet relish I made this summer.

Tomorrow, I'm expecting to make leftover turkey pot pie and will be making a gluten-free german recipe cake. :-()

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Happy Thanksgiving, RainbowGardener, AppleStar, Imafan, Webmaster. Happy Thanksgiving, Every One!

I was a vegetarian for 3 years. During that time, I was also a single father. My son would have meat when visiting his grandparents or mother. I went back to eating meat. DS went off to college and, in a few years, became a vegan - and remained so for many years. He would eat what wasn't meat at Thanksgiving - notably, Apple Pie ;)!

So, other than apple pie, using grandma's recipe (& dinner rolls using grandma's recipe) -- I could make stuffing with veggie broth.

This year, the bird will not be stuffed. Dear Daughter is putting a glaze on it. My wife is a great traditionalist. She subscribes to all of my Mom's choices. Mom is no longer with us and, how could I object?!

I've often put extra stuffing in a loaf pan. Today would give me a chance to tweak my technique and hope I get it right ... enuf. DW panicked! We got 2 boxes of Stove Top dressing!!!

I can remember using one of those once in the last quarter-century! What in Heavens can be done to make it a little more special/better? Looked for a recipe ...

It turned out as a Carrot & Cheese casserole ;). I think I could have done just as well (better?) using my time-honored stuffing with the vegetable broth. We have lots of carrots, so I made 2. Here's the recipe for 1:

1 pkg Stove Top stuffing
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can cream of mushroom (or celery) soup
1 medium onion, diced
1 Tablespoon margarine
1 pound of carrots, diced

Cook carrots in a small amount of water until just tender, about 7 minutes.
Sauté onion in margarine.
Combine carrots and onions with soup.
Prepare 1 box (6 oz) of Stove Top as per directions on box.
In a 2 quart casserole spoon in 1/2 the stuffing, 1/2 the carrot mix, and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat.
Bake at 350°f for 20 to 25 minutes.

! Steve

imafan26
Mod

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

I was assigned mashed potatoes. Does anyone have a good recipe?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Well, you can do like I did with my Red La Soda potatoes. Cook them with celery root.

After draining off the cooking water, I put cream cheese in the hot, cooked potatoes instead of butter or margarine. As it melted I whipped it in with half and half. Salt and Pepper and Gravy.

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Peel and cube the potatoes. Boil them until fork tender, drain and rinse. Whip them with butter, sour cream, salt and pepper. Put the whipped potatoes in a casserole dish and bake at 375 for about 20 min. If you aren't having gravy with the potatoes you can add grated cheese to them before baking.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the recipes. I don't even know where to get celery root here, but I did use Rainbow's recipe. I got some Yukon potatoes. I was surprised I could actually find them. We don't usually have more than 3 choices, red, salad, and russet, for white potatoes. I peeled and cut them up and boiled them in salted water for about 20 minutes. Drained and then mashed them. I had to buy a potato masher since my old one was rusty from being stored so long. I added a couple of tablespoons of butter, sour cream, and heavy cream and whipped the potatoes smooth. Salt and pepper and a little paprika on top. Baked at 350 for 30 minutes. I had to take them out early since my ride came to pick me up before they were ready to come out, but it turned out very well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yukon potatoes would be really good and make pretty mashed potatoes.

I didn't actually "mash" my potatoes at all. Once they are boiled tender, they can go directly in the mixer...

I didn't mention it, but I did dust the finished potatoes with smoked paprika.

imafan26
Mod

I thought about putting it in the mixer, it still turned out fine with the masher. The potatoes were easy to mash and mix by hand. It is good to know that I can put it in the mixer too.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”