applestar
Mod

Re: excalibur dehydrator , summer squash

Thanks, Lindsay! :()

nltaff

Great post, Lindsaylew! I'm getting bumper squash and have wondered what else I could do with them. On your description of oven canning-sounds simple. Now, after you turn off the oven, do you hear all the jars popping as they cool (like you do with water-bath canning)? Thanks for the seasoning recipe as well.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

You know.......I don't know if I've heard them ding or not! They do come out with a depressed deal though.

You do want to make sure that whatever you seal up is completely dry, not flexible. Crisp dry. Otherwise, they will mold.

nltaff

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like the chips need to go straight from the dehydrator into the jars and into the oven. Leave a potato chip on a plate for 15 minutes around here and it gets soggy! I can imagine your part of the country is very humid as well.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It is! I take them out, and put them in a baggie for a few hours. If they have movement, they go back into the dehydrator.

nltaff

Got it. Thanks! I'm anxious to try it and I've been meaning to rev up the dehydrator as I have a mess of sweet marjoram that's ready to go into it.

StuartGrows
Newly Registered

the moisture in the air is what causes the crispyness to be lost when storing your summer squash chips.

I've recently done a ton of research on preserving. I've heard that you shouldn't re-use a jar once you have canned with it and opened it. I hate wasting stuff so I was determined to find out what I could do with the jars once I opened them and also to continue keeping my food fresh.I found out that Vacuum Sealing is a great way to do both of those things.

Removing the air from the container that you are storing your summer squash chips in will keep them perfectly crisp.

I think I will write a blog about sealers. Would anyone want to read all the stuff I found out about them?

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Glass Canning Jars are meant to be reused.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Rings, too. It's the flat lids with only thin rubber seal that shouldn't be re-used because they may not form a reliable seal. There are re-usable silicone based lids now -- I want to try that at some point, but haven't had the chance yet.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I use my Foodsaver to seal a lot of my jars of dry ingredients. I also save those dessicant packs found in countless things (and friends and family save them for me as well), and I put those in jars that can't be vac sealed. And some things, like spices, I put one of those oxygen adsorbant packs - something that I got a bunch of, and keep vac sealed, until I need one.

StuartGrows
Newly Registered

I'll look for the silicone jars. That sounds great.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”