Itoero

canning garlic

I found a nice recipe for canning garlic.
You boil garlic cloves in sweet sherry, honey, vine vinegar and soy sauce...and you keep it in the fridge.
I haven't tasted it yet.
Any idea how long I can preserve this?

Does anyone else have a nice recipe to pickle or marinate garlic?

shadylane
Green Thumb

If my mind serves me correctly its only good for 6 months. I thought about doing that also, but the effort wouldn't equal the time for keeping...I find that dry bulbs of garlic keep nice in cool dry conditions. .I do a lot of cooking and doing so with garlic...it's not a problem for me. Buying garlic cloves already bottled in stores are known to be bitter in taste, as well as over cooking your garlic in dishes.

Itoero

Canned garlic has not much taste.
The vinegar+sugar sucks up all the taste and smells really bad.
Never again.

I'm going to roast some garlic in the oven or microwave..that should be tastuy.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I just dry mine and hang it in the back room it lasts all year long and then some. Tastes so much better than garlic soaked in all those other flavors!

Roasted some just last week and made a very very good garlic salid.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What is your secret OT? I dry mine and hang it in a dark space, but after 4-5 months, it is starting to get brown and shrivelly. I've never had usable garlic for more than 6 months.

Is your back room warm or cool? Dry or humid? etc

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

IDK - I really do not care for frozen or caned savories - onions, garlic, celery, peppers. Frozen breaks down the tissue because of the high water content. Canned - I just prefer fresh or fresh dried. One exception is pickled Jalapeno peppers. My husband likes them in his salad and breakfast omelet. I use onions, garlic, celery and peppers in many recipes. I try to stick with fresh or fresh dried. Thank you for sharing your recipe.

Enjoy and Happy New Year

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:What is your secret OT? I dry mine and hang it in a dark space, but after 4-5 months, it is starting to get brown and shrivelly. I've never had usable garlic for more than 6 months.

Is your back room warm or cool? Dry or humid? etc

It is cool and dark I shut off the heating and air vent. I hang it on strings so it is open to air. We have gas heat and it is rather dry heat.

I do vacuum seal and freeze some also

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I did freeze some garlic and some onions while I had them fresh from the garden. I keep forgetting they are there, so I haven't actually gotten them out and used them, so I can't speak to how they turn out once defrosted. Hopefully this will be a reminder, and I won't forget again by the time I have finished using the fresh from the grocery stuff I have.

I have been hanging mine on strings in the (ground floor) laundry room, which is dark and does not have it's own heat vent, but even so, it is not very cool. Perhaps this year I will try hanging some in the basement.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”