Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Fresh Fruit and Veggie Smoothie Recipes

I use to make a smoothie every morning with 1 banana, 1/2 cups strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup ice. Add strawberries to the kitchen blender first they turn to liquid then add the banana. Alternate adding ice and yogurt if it gets too thick add a tiny amount of water so it will go round and round in the blender, Ice melts a little bit and helps to add liquid to the smoothie. You end up with an ground up icy type smoothie that is very good. Ice is very destructive to the kitchen blender I use to buy all the cheap blenders I could find at yard sales. Sometimes a blender will last 1 week and sometimes 2 months. What a person really needs is a $200 heavy duty blender. Once the ice is ground up then you can add other things like Kale, carrots, fruit, etc if you want.

Bananas are very high on the glycemic scale top of the list it can shoot your blood sugar sky high and so can other fruits and carbohydrates. Now days this type smoothie will shoot my blood sugar to 150 then 2 hours later my blood sugar crashes to 40 and I pass out from low blood sugar.

I am looking for a new smoothie recipe. I have been experimenting with 1/4 of a small banana, 3 strawberries, 1 cup yogurt, peanut butter, plus enough water to mix in the blender. I miss the crushed ice that is what makes it good. I want to add kale my garden kale is starting to get big I wonder if frozen kale will work in place of ice. I need a protein to add to my smoothie. Many of the protein powders are ground up soy bean tofu with water squeezed out then dried so I plan to experiment by soaking soy beans in water until they become soft then grind them up in the smoothie.

applestar
Mod

Today’s Mango Smoothie —

Frozen sweetened mango cubes, spiced apple cider, mango kefir, blueberry kefir, brown rice porridge, filtered water, sunflower oil, sea salt, home made roasted hazelnut/sugar extract. Yum! :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

When others were commenting here several years ago, I hadn't developed an interest in drinking smoothies. Okay, I'm still not there :wink: .

I do make soup. The last couple of years, I realized that my enjoyment of tomato soup didn't have to be at the end of the season and from a collection of tomatoes usually brought in green to the kitchen counter and ripening, sometimes in great numbers! No, I could enjoy tomato soup during the growing season. That means other vegetables are being harvested fresh at the same time.

I won't be growing and harvesting bananas and a gardener commented earlier said that smoothies have to be cold. Well ... there is gazpacho, cold vegetable soup, but I am someone who even likes his V8 juice served in a cup and hot.

Without the bananas (and probably without the cucumbers :wink: ), does anyone have a recipe for a smoothie that would be good hot?

Steve

applestar
Mod

Ha! You are venturing into blended soup territory, but I’m game —

Let’s see, how about creamed broccoli (and/or cauliflower) with gooey cheese?

Original recipe calls for cream — choose heavy, light, or half and half. I substitute with rice milk, potatoes, and sometimes cauliflower. I can still use butter and aged cheese.

— using butter and favorite oil (I tend to use EVOO), sweat onions, garlic if desired, broccoli stems (outer hard rind removed) and celery (you might use celeriac here, digitS. I cook the potatoes and cauliflower here). Add chicken stock/broth and simmer for 20-30 minutes with bay leaf or other herbs like thyme, parsley stems, etc. Remove herbs. Add broccoli florets. Use immersion blender or put in blender until desired consistency. Return to pot and add cream and bring up to heat. Serve by ladling hot soup over a clump of shredded cheese in the bowl (I use aged cheddar or gruyere) and float a pat of butter (or drizzle of EVOO), then garnish with chopped parsley or green onions or dried parsley. (Nutmeg could be good here). Croutons or crumbled crackers if desired. Corn chips are good too (but probably not so much if you used nutmeg, so take your pick).

...Here’s another one of my faves if peanut allergy is not a concern. I had the authentic version at King’s Arms Tavern and bought the cookbook.

Cream of Peanut Soup : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site
https://www.history.org/almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm

applestar
Mod

Immersions blender is useful, but sometimes, I feel like I’m just chasing bits and pieces around in the too big pot.

I did recently catch probably a re-run of Good Eats when Alton Brown got hold of a commercial/restaurant stick blender. Yeah that looked awesome.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Ha! You are venturing into blended soup territory, but I’m game ...
I know!! But, hot vegetable juices ... You know, smoothies sometimes have yogurt. Greek yogurt has worked okay in some of my soups :wink: .

Those recipes look good and tasty!
applestar wrote:... if peanut allergy is not a concern. I had the authentic version at King’s Arms Tavern and bought the cookbook.

Cream of Peanut Soup : The Colonial Williamsburg Official History & Citizenship Site
https://www.history.org/almanack/life/food/fdpnutsp.cfm
Peanuts!?!

Steve :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh NO!
January 20, 2019 33815 AM PST.jpg
Avocado in Coffee!?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

That avocado-coffee smoothie looks gross to me.
Myself, I don't make smoothies very often. But I do I love fresh squeezed O.J. I made some fresh squeezed O.J. the other day from Heirloom Navel Oranges. Wow, these are the best tasting oranges: what navel oranges tasted like before they were modified to increase yields. The Heirloom Navel Oranges show up at my local health food store once a year and they don't last very long. Try them sometime, if you haven't already, and see what navel oranges are supposed to taste like.

applestar
Mod

After making the squash purée today, I salvaged the purée that was hard to get out from the bottom of the blender pitcher by adding frozen peaches, rice milk, blueberries, and vanilla sugar and making a smoothie. Yum!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”