gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

What ways can I cook with my peppers?

I have a few plants not so many this year. But I am about to pull them if I can't get something to do with them. I have frozen peppers from last year still in the freezer. My wife and kids hate peppers. But I love them from super ( sign a waiver) hot to mild bells.

What do you like to do with them other than eating them raw?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I make salsa, pickles, and salads with them. I usually make my own dressings too and I add some hot peppers to that as well.

applestar
Mod

I actually don't like them raw all that much, but LOVE them in anything that involves sautéing. Onions, garlic, peppers, THEN other ingredients. :wink:

I just cleaned up an insect tunnel protected row and harvested last od the cabbages, broccoli side shoots, and accidentally an immature B. sprouts (drat! -- I thought a cabbage had bolted or something) yesterday -- so yesterday's meal was pan full of chopped bacon, cabbages and broccoli shoots, B. sprout top, onions, garlic, immature garlic seeds, Chinese celery, carrot greens (roots were all messed up due to carrot rust fly), bush beans, and yellow bell peppers and red Corno di Toro peppers with a little bit of water until everything was tender, then finished with fresh diced orange and red tomatoes and whole Matts Wild Cherry tomatoes and some freshly ground cornmeal (I don't know why, it seemed like a good idea -- and it actually added great flavor).

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

"frozen raw" does not excite me - but diced frozen in virtually any kind of saute is good - albacore to zebra - what you got?

and, come to think on it - a pasta / tuna / salad with thawed diced works well for us - but if you're in the land of pepper haters, . . . oops.

I freeze banana and bells (all diced....) they get used up in any kind of vegetable medley, pizza, onion/mushroom 'topping' for fish, gravies that get whizzed with the stick blender, chutney, etc.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've been eating a lot of jalapeno peppers I pickled over the past couple seasons. That is how I fix many of them with the exception of the ones I occasionally stuff and grill if large enough or for cooking things like my chili and salsas.

I've been eating them at the rate of a couple quarts a month lately. Seems I can't get enough of the little buggers.

I used some Habanero peppers diced very fine and put in a cruet with vinegar for some zing when using it on a salad or to kick up the taste in a bowl of red beans and rice.

No Scotch Bonnets or Bhut Jalokia's so far. I've been tempted but after seeing some videos of folks reaction to those, I'm a bit reluctant.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Besides raw, chopped into salads, I'm with Applestar, sauteed in everything, including soups, stews, pastas, casseroles, stir fries, etc. What I have done with extra bell peppers in the past is stuff them and freeze them. Since they are going to be baked after that, the texture change with freezing doesn't matter.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

I have been dehydrating nearly everything in my garden this year, from collards to catnip! I have an overabundance of hot peppers this year which will also be put in the dehydrator. Dried peppers are a boon to have on hand. Boil a little water to rehydrate a handful and put it in soups, stir fries, etc. Ground, they turn into an excellent spice with as much kick as you'd like!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the ideas.

Not sure what I will do with them. Last year I dried the lot of them and ground them up all together and made a spice with them.

applestar
Mod

If you are talking about hot peppers, don't forget the hot pepper jelly. Great with toast and butter or cream cheese, as well as on pork chops, etc.

edelweiss

I also make punjabi ajar,dinner, freeze them,and make lots of hungarian dishes.

prettygurl

Tonight I am making stuffed peppers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Even your family might like poppers and other stuffed jalapeno recipes.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Frozen, stuffed and frozen, pepper jelly! LOVE pepper jelly, cream cheese, bacon wrapped jalapenoes. Pepper jelly on toast with scrambled eggs and bacon or used as a filling for an omelet. Try making jelly. Great with the holidays coming up. Give as gifts or serve for your holiday parties or give as gifts to friends and family. Many pepper jelly recipes on line. Take
your pick.

LOL

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Just re-read your original post - do I hear bell peppers?

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute diced onions, diced bell pepper, smashed minced garlic in butter until onions are translucent. Cut the top off and core bell peppers. Scald for 2 or 3 minutes in boiling water. Remove the meat of italian sausage from casing and dry brown. Add a little dry wine to de-glaze pan. Toss in pepper, garlic, onion mixture. Add grated gruyere or parmesan reggiano. You can add cooked rice if you like. Stuff scalded pepers with mixture. Place in a baking pan with enough water to cover the pepers 1/3. Top peppers with additional cheese. Bake until hot and bubbly. As an alternative you can freeze the stuffed peppers (before baking) and pull out of the freezer for later use.

OK so not a cooking forum - just love to make the best use of my fresh garden veggies.

Enjoy

BTW - don't forget sea salt, fresh ground pepper and any fresh herbs that you like.

The joy of gardening results in the joy of cooking.

imafan26
Mod

Hot peppers tobasco, serrano, thai hot,
make pepper jelly or chili pepper water, chili sauce (garlic, chilies,fish sauce, 2 T lemon juice)
cayenne, thai and super chilies can be dried. It intensifies the flavor
Bell pepper, ancho, anaheim
Roast bell peppers, it sweetens them up. You can eat roasted bells with a little garlic salt. YUM!
Make roasted salsa, it is the best.
Anaheims chile rellenos.
Jalapeno and cream cheese dip
Stir fry peppers until they are crisp tender and eat them as a side with onions or even better put the stir fried peppers and onions in a sandwich
My friend just eats the frozen Jalapenos as a snack straight from the freezer. I've never frozen bell peppers before unless they were already stuffed. You have better luck than I do with bells. I only get 5-8 from a plant before they die. I'd like to know your secret of production
:)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”