ButterflyGarden

Dried Chili Peppers?

Can I try them in my oven? Has anyone done this before?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I just did that. But it takes hours and hours in a warm (I.e. lowest setting you can get) oven. I made little slits in my peppers first to help humidity escape and let the heat get to the inside of the pepper. I have read that it helps to leave the oven door cracked open a little bit while doing that, to let the humidity escape from the oven, but I didn't want to heat my house up like that and waste the energy... Worked ok without it, but most of the day of running the oven.

At the end I got small shrivelled up, blackened peppers which ground up nicely into powder with my mortar and pestle. Do remember all the warnings about not touching your eyes or mouth while doing this - or even after. I washed my hands well after finishing. Hours later after more washing, I touched my eyes and still got burned.

soil
Greener Thumb

I just leave my peppers out to dry, some take a week some take three. real thick peppers are smoked like chipotles. maybe less than 1% will rot.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

A nurse told me the way to remove the burning is to splash with cool vinegar and water. It works !

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers. Highly recommended.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”