bwhite829

what to do with pot licker

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys had any tasty ideas for pot licker? I try to limit the amounts of carbs and grains I take in, so sopping it up with cornbread is out unless its a cheat day or cheat meal. I cook them with mushroom and onion, so it becomes a really brothy liquid. I love drinking it after I finish the bowl of greens, but I'll probably have at least a couple cups left after I finish all of this batch. I'm wondering if I should keep it to just drink over the winter? I love it just by itself, but I could also use it as a broth, but I have no recipes that cause for broth? Thanks for the info!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could drink it like broth, or use it as a base for soups. I limit carbs, too, and thicken my homemade soups with pureed veggies. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Many soup recipes call for "stock" sometimes saying water or soup stock. I always have soup stock on hand, that I make by simmering all the veggie scraps (onion, garlic, and potato peels especially, but pretty much all the scraps left over from cooking). Your pot likker (aka pot liquor) would likely be a good stand in for soup stock.

Secret of good homemade soup is good soup stock! I keep a jar of it in the frig and the next time I cook, use the same stock (with some more water added) to simmer the next batch of veggie scraps, simmer til reduced to the same jar's worth. By the time you have done this 3-4 times, you have a wonderful dark, rich, fragrant soup stock, that you could drink as broth, but is the basis of a lot of great soups.

Good soup stock is particularly important for vegetarian soups. Meat soups have their own richness, but water based veggie soups can be bland and watery....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You could use it just about any way that you use meat broth or stock. Use it as the liquid to poach some fish, for instance, or as the liquid when you braise pork chops. You could even use it as the liquid for a pot roast or when you make chicken broth. [img]https://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Food/eating-43.gif[/img]

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”