ladysaotome
Newly Registered

Pear canning question

My sister and I made some Pear Honey a few weeks ago. It was our first attempt ever into the world of canning & we ended up with a dozen 1/2 pint jars & several full pints. We made them out of a bunch of pears that we'd left on the dining room table to ripen for a few days and they ripened pretty quickly as when we checked on them they were pretty soft to the touch and a semi-challenge to peel as a good squeeze would have smooshed them. We've been all excited about giving these away at Christmas time but then I read on a few sites online that pears are the one fruit that should never be canned if too-ripe as the loss of the fruit acids could cause botulism?! But other sites don't seem to worry when pears are soft. We mixed the pears with some peeled oranges so they've had a little citric acid added but not a ton.

I hate to throw these away but hardly want to risk poisoning and friends or family. Any advice?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I never worried about it, and I've canned probably a few thousand jars of pears. I'm not sure what 'pear honey' is, though.

Overripe fruit can be pureed in a food processor, then dehydrated to make fruit leather. I always stored that in the freezer.

ladysaotome
Newly Registered

Thanks. Pear honey was just pureed pears, sugar & spices (cinnamon/nutmeg) cooked down into a syrup & canned.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”