Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Who has a good home made spaghetti sauce recipe?

I know there use to be a place with recipes but I can NOT find it.

Who has a good home made spaghetti sauce recipe?

I will have more ripe tomatoes soon so I might try making some home made sauces. I am also interested in pizza sauce and other sauces.

codyjp

seems that every time I make sauce I make things up as I go depending on how I feel, phases of the moon, tides etc... Some of the time it actually turns out good, other times, not so much. I keep thinking I need to pay better attention!

Generally though, garlic, basil, oregano, pepper, onion, and believe it or not, a couple carrots tossed in.

I'm looking forward to making my first batch of home grown tomato sauce!

pepper4
Green Thumb

Gary350, check out the sticky about recipes on top of Hoo-ha and Foo page. I'm sure they have spaghetti sauce recipes. There's also a site off forum called All Recipes. They offer alot of recipes with reviews. Hope that helps.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I have two spaghetti sauce recipes that I use, the first is easy and shows off the flavor of the tomatoes, the second is thicker and is actually a thick pizza sauce recipe that can also be used for pasta.

1) Home grown tomatoes cooked down by 1/2 (this is what I fill my freezer with in gallon Ziplock bags -approx half filled and frozen flat). You need about 1/2 gallon or so.
1 lb italian sausage crumbled and browned
1 med onion
chopped garlic to taste
1 bay leaf
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
or just use italian seasoning which is basil-oregano
1 tbs corn starch in cold water

Brown sausage and then add onion and garlic, When onion/garlic is cooked add tomatos and bay leaf. Cook for 1/2 hour or more to blend flavors, add basil-oregano near end and then add corn starch to thicken and prevent "water" from separating out.

As I said the flavor of the tomatoes come through in this. My favorite is a combination of "white" beefsteak tomatoes (great white etc) mixed with Limmony tomato, which makes a unique tangy sauce the color of chicken gravy.

2) The second sauce is going to be red, and tastes like restaurant/store bought sauce because it relies on tomato paste as a thickener. Its not mine I found it here.

https://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Ultimate-Pizza-Sauce-114392

You can omit the Italian sausage from recipe 1 and use the ingredients from recipe 2, with or without the tomato paste for a good vegetarian sauce.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Spaghetti Sauce

1 pound lean hamburger meat
1 T fennel seeds, crushed in mortar and pestle, then added to saucepan of water, to boil, to get flavor.
1t canola oil
2-3 cups of water, as needed
1 bulb garlic (we love garlic so you may want less)
1 whole onion
½ t basil
¼ t oregano
1t parsley
1T sugar (optional)
1/2t salt (optional)
1 can stewed tomatoes
2 cans tomato sauce (or even commercial spaghetti sauce)
(options: green peppers, mushrooms, and black olives sometimes I add one or all and sometimes I don't add any of these)

I take a cast iron skillet (tomato dishes cooked in cast iron is rich in the nutrient iron) add the canola oil to the skillet, I also add 1-2 cups of water. I add the hamburger meat, and separate all the pieces, while the water is handy, and start the burner while I am separating the meat. Gradually the water will cook out and then I brown the hamburger meat, then I add a second cup of water, mix it all around, and then I pour it off along with all the grease that I can get with it.

I peel and cut up my onion and garlic while the meat is cooking. Once, I have poured the water off of the meat, I add the onion and garlic. I also add spices at this point. I cook until onions are translucent, and most the garlic is slightly browned, or at least soft.

I strain my fennel into the sauce, catching the hard little seed bits, and just adding the flavored water to my spaghetti sauce. This is added with the tomatoes.

I add the tomatoes and let them cook down a little bit, then add the tomato sauce, or commercial spaghetti sauce, whichever I have handy.

I simply cover and let it cook to the consistency that I want. I do taste test to see if it needs anything more, spices or salt or sugar.

This is good for about 6 servings over spaghetti, with nice garlic bread, and salad.

When I make a bunch up to freeze for busy days.

I make it the usual way, just vary the quantity for my purposes.

I spray a large baking pan with canola oil. Then I put my spaghetti noodles (cooked) into it, and arrange them, then I pour the sauce over, covering the noodles well, I top that with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
I set this into the freezer to freeze. Once frozen, I remove it from the pan and place in a freezer bag with the date on it.

can't cook some night, but want a meal? Heat the oven, grab your spaghetti, remove from freezer wrap, put back in pan, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake it till it is well thawed, then remove the foil to allow the mozzarella to brown. While this is thawing, simply butter some bread, sprinkle some garlic, and add it to the oven, with or without mozzarella sprinkled over the bread. Quick, easy meal, for days you are tired, but want home cooked meal.
(To fancy up your bread or spaghetti, mix a little parsley in with the mozzarella and parmesan)

I made this one time with leftover turkey meat, I just chopped it up and pretended it was (ground meat already browned) and went from there, my sons still think turkey spaghetti is heaven.
I used eggplant for my meat once, and no one realized it had no meat in it!

Annemieke

When you use fresh tomato's for a spaghetti sauce, you may stew the tomato's long on a very low temperature. When you cook quick on a high temperature you will damage the seeds in the tomato. That flavours the sauce with a sour and sometimes with bitterness. Stew the tomato's together with onions, fresh garlic, basil, salt, one tablespoon of vinegar and one tablespoon brown sugar and you will get a wonderfull sauce!

Annemieke

Annemieke

codyjp wrote:
Generally though, garlic, basil, oregano, pepper, onion, and believe it or not, a couple carrots tossed in.
Sometime I use carrots too! When I have a plenty zucchini I use that as well.

Annemieke

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”