applestar
Mod

Venison -- how about Chili? DH loved it when I turned the venison a neighbor gave us into a big pot of Chili. I think I cut it up into finger-thick strips/chunks and marinated it in some ale or stout for a while first.... Sorry no recipe -- it was one of those put in some of this and that, and let's try this too kind of cooking. :wink:

joshbuchan

omg! y did I read this thread, my belly is rumberling now :D I cant wait to make some beer bread 2moz!
thank u all for shearing all your amazing recipes with me, so I fort I might sheare one to my hart :lol:

Chocolate and beetroot brownies :D

all u need is 250g/10oz good, dark chocolate (70% cocoa) broken into pieces
250g/10oz unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for greasing
250g/10oz caster sugar
3 free-range eggs
150g self-raising flour
250g beetroot, boiled until tender, peeled and grated

1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a baking tin of approximately 20 x 30 x 3cm and line the bottom with baking parchment.

2. Break up the chocolate into pieces, cut the butter into cubes then mix them up a bit in a heatproof bowl. As the oven begins to warm up, put the bowl onto one of the shelves for a few minutes until the chocolate and butter starts to melt. Stir, and put back into the oven for a few more minutes to melt completely.

3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a bowl until combined, then beat in the melted chocolate and butter until smooth. Gently fold in the flour then the beetroot and be careful not to overmix or it will make the brownies tough.

4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over the top with a spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes. A knife or skewer pushed into the middle should come out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it. Don't be tempted to overcook them! Remove the tin from the oven and leave on wire rack to cool before cutting into squares.

very easy and very tastie! injoy.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Hey Josh, that sounds great.
I assume that when you say beetroot. You mean the little red beets?
I have never imagined using them in baking. I really like beets, but I have only eaten them boiled with butter, or pickled. I have got to try these. Since I like brownies, and I like beets.
Okay, I have a can of beets... they aren't growing in the snow out there... wonder if that will work, if I simply smash them up and add them...
If it doesn't work, I will know to use fresh ones, the next time...
Off to the kitchen!

joshbuchan

hey OL, um yeah beets/beetroot the little red things look like onions with green leaves on top, when u say canned do u meen pickled?? I hate pickled beetroot and would never ever try to use it in bakeing. but it might work, but I like the little cubes to munch on in the brownies ^^ well goodluck!

I am trying some spinidge muffins 2moz, if they go well I will give u all thr recipe! :D :D

applestar
Mod

I'm going to try this too! I just got beets in the organic veg co-op box, and I'll be able to the 70% Belgians at Trader Joe's tomorrow. :()

joshbuchan

great stuff! I hope u injoy them!

I have said this once and I will say it again :D :D be very careful not to overmix it or it will make the brownies tough.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

No Josh, the beets are not pickled, they are simply sold at the grocery store in a can, they have been peeled, greens and tap root removed, then boiled and canned up.
I don't think that I have ever seen pickled beets canned up. Normally we just open the can, slice the beets, and then put beets in a bowl, and pour hot vinegar over them... done...

joshbuchan

ah, my dad pickles them in jars :shock: :?
well it should save u boilding and pealing then :lol: all u have to do is grate, well I hope they turn out ok! u can freeze them for upto a month, if they evan get to the freezer that is lol :roll: :lol:

applestar
Mod

Found this thread in the Foo-Ha. Enjoy. :()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I wish people would list the NAME of the recipe with their recipe.

Please REVISE your recipe and include a name so we all know what it is.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

This one is easy and quite delicious tomato soup.

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatosoup/931077341_9dpMt-M.jpg[/img]

Ingredients:

4 Cups of chopped tomatoes
1 Onion, finely chopped
1/2 Bell Pepper chopped
2 Cups of chicken broth (or stock)
1/2 Stick of butter
2 Tbs of olive oil (can be any other vegetable oil)
1/3 Cup of flower
3 Cloves
2 Bay leafs
Salt/Pepper to taste
1/4 Cup of Half and Half (or heavy whipping cream - at serving)

Preparation:

- In the large, heated pot, add bell peppers, olive oil and onions, sweat the onions just until translucent
- Add tomatoes, cloves, bay leafs, broth/stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min.
- Pour the mixture into the blender, and pure it until uniform
- In same cooking pot (now empty) add butter, melt it, add flower (making a rue), keep whisking until the color is light golden brown.
- Carefully poor tomato mixture (a little at first) back int the pan, whisk well, and add the rest of the mixture.
- Cook (stirring occasionally) for 10 min on medium heat (or until it comes to a boil)
- Serve and enjoy (about 1 Tbs of half and half slowly poured into the center of the bowl)

Regards,
D

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Kisal wrote:ZUCCHINI PIE

4 cups pared zucchini, cut into slices like you would cut apples for pie
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/3 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp apple pie spice (you can just use cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger if you wish)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 beaten eggs
Pastry for a 2-crust pie

Preheat oven to 400º.

Peel and slice zucchini. Remove seeds if using large zucchini (I just scrape them out with a spoon).

Mix together salt, spices and flour. Toss with zucchini slices.

Mix in lemon juice, then gently stir in the beaten eggs.

Pour into unbaked pie shell and top with crust. Sprinkle top crust with sugar.

Bake at 400º F for 45 minutes to an hour. Cover edges of crust with strips of foil if they begin to brown too soon.

Cool, slice and serve! May also be served warm with ice cream.
Made it...WOW! I really DOESN'T taste like zucchini!!! I am impressed!!! This is a fabulous recipe :()

Anna63

Duh_Vinci wrote:This one is easy and quite delicious tomato soup.

[img]https://drphotography.smugmug.com/Garden/2010-Garden/2010tomatosoup/931077341_9dpMt-M.jpg[/img]

Ingredients:

4 Cups of chopped tomatoes
1 Onion, finely chopped
1/2 Bell Pepper chopped
2 Cups of chicken broth (or stock)
1/2 Stick of butter
2 Tbs of olive oil (can be any other vegetable oil)
1/3 Cup of flower
3 Cloves
2 Bay leafs
Salt/Pepper to taste
1/4 Cup of Half and Half (or heavy whipping cream - at serving)

Preparation:

- In the large, heated pot, add bell peppers, olive oil and onions, sweat the onions just until translucent
- Add tomatoes, cloves, bay leafs, broth/stock, bring to a boil and simmer for 20 min.
- Pour the mixture into the blender, and pure it until uniform
- In same cooking pot (now empty) add butter, melt it, add flower (making a rue), keep whisking until the color is light golden brown.
- Carefully poor tomato mixture (a little at first) back int the pan, whisk well, and add the rest of the mixture.
- Cook (stirring occasionally) for 10 min on medium heat (or until it comes to a boil)
- Serve and enjoy (about 1 Tbs of half and half slowly poured into the center of the bowl)

Regards,
D
looks so delicious. mm!

Lehcar

Alright, so, this is my secret to gaining Rockstar-Awesome-Cook status around holiday-season or any large gathering of people (including but not limited to: Sunday dinner at mother-in-law's house, PTA meetings, bake sales...).

Shamelessly, I hover over my plate of delicious treats and smile benevolently as curious newcomers and veterans alike shovel my baked goods into their mouths with wild abandon as the rest of the offerings are ignored. Grandmother's apple pie? Ignored! Aunt Biddie's delicious brownies? Abandoned! Cousin Robert's cheesecake?!! Used as a stepping stone to get to my... what, dare you ask, is it that I make?!!

Chocolate Beet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

1 c. butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/2 c. packed dark brown sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 oz. dark chocolate (approximate, most of the time I even go up to 2 oz.)
5 med. beets or 2 c. pureed beets (I used canned beets when I'm feeling lazy; be sure you don't get Harvard Beets on accident, just boiled beets in water; obviously fresh beets taste the best)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Trim tops and bottoms from beets. Quarter and cover with water in a pot, boil and then turn down to a simmer. Cook 50 min. or until tender. Rinse in cool water, slide skins off and puree to a smooth paste. Let cool. If using canned beets, just drain and puree to a smooth paste. (TIP: this can be done the night before or several hours before; throw into the freezer for 10 min. if you're pressed for time and need them to cool down quickly)

Melt 1/4 c. butter with the chocolate in a small saucepan. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.

Cream 3/4 c. butter and brown sugar together. Add eggs, mix well.

Fold chocolate, sugar mix, beet puree and vanilla together. Make sure nothing is too hot or the eggs will cook. If not sure, wait. Nobody likes scrambled eggs in their cupcakes, hehe!

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Fold the wet into the dry ingredients using big sweeps of a spatula. Do not over-mix but make sure everything is incorporated.

Pour into greased muffin tins and bake 25-35 min at 375 degrees for regular-sized cupcakes (makes 18-24 depending on how much you fill up your tins) or 18-21 min. for mini-muffin tins.

I like to make mini-cupcakes because they're 2 bites and easier to send home with people if there are leftovers.

Basic Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz. COLD cream cheese (as in, out-of-the-fridge cold)
5 tbsp. butter, room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. (or less) powdered or confectioner's sugar

Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla together.

Add powdered sugar 1/4 c. at a time until desired sweetness is reached.

I usually use the "I brought veggies and dessert in one!" line when I set the tray out which gets people curious. When these are warm the taste of beet is prominent but once cooled you can't even taste it. It's used much like apple sauce is in recipes where you don't want oil but you want to keep the cake moist.

I also used this to bribe my nephew (a vehement hater of veggies) into trying new veggies by saying, "Well... you liked my beet cupcakes! Would Aunt Rachel steer you wrong?"

If you want to omit the heavy frosting, these work just as well with a little dusting of powdered sugar on the top to make them pretty.

Feel free to do the Cupid Shuffle whilst anticipating the compliments. :D I know I do.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Hey e1! Not to hijack but I posted 7 recipes for e1 for those who grow or just love the types of veggies and fruits used in them....great harvest season recipes...each recipe has it's own thread, and I am just letting e1 know...as I did read earlier (way earlier) that no one seems to be posting recipes...and I for one would love to see more posted....I know I am new to this site, but I am a self taught gourmet cook, who cooks all types of cuisines (basically a little of a whole lot LOL)

I listed recipes for the following (all my own I made up):

Potato Salad
Potato Pancakes
Fruit Salad-Dressing Free (Only fruit a bit of sugar and lemon juice in it)
Streusel Coffee Cake (BlackBerries used in this recipe-can substitute other berries)
Oven Fried Zuchini (Herb Parmesean Style)
Warm Brussel Sprout Bacon Salad with Homemade Simple Sweet Dressing (Can also be served cold)
Tomato Basil Oregano Sammies

Hope everyone enjoys and please feel free to ask about them, I am more than willing to share my recipes (I left my ex last year and am rebuilding my personal recipe bank from memory and its taking a while but I have about 90 so far re-written down but I can usually help along the way to finding someone what they are looking for) Happy gardening and cooking everyone!!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I forgot to list this one but it's so easy I never write it down...but in case anyone wants to know....Pears, Apples and Strawberries work great for this!

Mascerated Fruit with HomeMade Whipped Cream:

Just peel and chop your fruit and set aside in a bowl and (if already sweet, try tasting it before adding the sugar) add about 1/2 Cup to 1 Cup of White Sugar for Strawberries, 1/2 C to 1 Cup Brown sugar for Pears and Apples...and for the Apples and Pears add about a tsp of Cinnamon (or more is u like it a lot) and about 1/4 tsp AllSpice (again more if you like it) mix well and refridgerate for 2 hours....I use about 2 lbs of berries or 4 large apples or 6 pears for this type of dessert at a time.

Cream:

per 1 Pint of Heavy Whipping Cream add 3 TbSp (Heaping) Powdered Sugar, or White, I prefer Powdered (it makes a more frosting like consistency and if u use powdered triple the recipe and it is enough to frost a 2 layer 9" cake) and 1 tsp vanilla extract and blend with a stand or hand mixer until VERY stiff peaks form.

Serve on top of the mascerated fruit and you have a decadent and delicious easy peesy dessert!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”