Home made hazelnut creamer -- did this for the first time off the cuff, but it really turned out great!
- 1+ cup raw shelled hazelnuts - put on baking sheet on parchment and roast 8 minutes at 325°F
- Lift out by the parchment and pour the nuts into paper towel-lined bowl. When cool enough to handle, rub between fingers to slip off brown papery skin.
- Put 1 cup peeled toasted hazelnuts and 1/4 tsp sea salt in small milk pan with 2 cups of water and bring to simmer.
- Transfer to blender container and gradually increase speed until thoroughly ground and liquified.
- Strain through fine mesh strainer, pushing down on the pulp -- this is hazelnut cream.
- Return the pulp to the blender pitcher and add 1 cup hot-boiling water. Blend well. Strain into a separate container. -- this is low-fat hazelnut milk (good enough to drink)
- Combine as much of the cream and milk as you like to obtain full to half-and-half creamer (I used 2 parts cream to 1 part milk). I didn't pre-sweeten the creamer because I prefer to add sweetener at time of drinking according to my moods, but you could.
--- I saved the strained/spent hazelnut meal and put back on the parchment to bake at low temp to dry a bit. I'm going to use it for baking something.