rippo
Newly Registered

Please help me identify my bonsai

Inherited this dry looking tree. First thing I would like to know is what type it is then I can work out how to water it and its best position in house....

Its rather sick looking and don't want to lose it! Can you help please?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry you didn't get a response sooner. I don't know, but I am just bumping your post so that more people will see it and perhaps ID it.

Your bonsai is interesting. I did a little looking to see if I could find a match for it. It isn't any of the most common bonsai types.

I hope we can ID it for you. Otherwise you might find a bonsai club or knowlegeable bonsai vendor near you to ask. (But be careful with the latter, there are many bonsai sellers out there who are ignorant of their products. We often have people write in here who have been given totally wrong care instructions by the person they purchased their bonsai from.)

rippo
Newly Registered

Thanks fingers crossed

GardeningCook
Greener Thumb

It looks like it could" be a type of Podocarpus.

I don't know where you are located, but at this time of year in the U.S., this poor little thing needs to be outside. Acclimated at first - as in shade for a couple of weeks & then gradually brought into full sun for a couple of hours each day, increasingly. There is not going to be any place in your house that is going to give it the light requirements it needs. It's obviously dying from too little light & too much water.

Until you can get a definitive I.d., it "MIGHT" have to come in at frost-time if it turns out to be some type of tropical, but chances are good that it's a permanent outdoor bonsai, meaning that with protection it will do best living outdoors - even at temps down to 20 degrees or so.

(Also - do some basic bonsai research as far as care & watering techniques. Will give you an edge on possibly saving this little tree.)

rippo
Newly Registered

thanks will do some more research. Out it is going....

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”