Maineah_John

Bonchi - Bonsai Mini Bell Pepper

This is my first attempt to bonsai a pepper.

Before removing branches. Roughly 1.5'x1.5' the growing season here is short.

Here are the roots after washing off all the old soil.

After trim

Under T5 lighting

Whatcha think?

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Fatellii (sp?) keeps his in a green house. Not next to a near-by window.

My guess is going to be; you'll need a whole lot more light.

applestar
Mod

Check out the Winter Pepper Torture thread. I found hot peppers to need less supplemental light than bell peppers or tomatoes. A 10" aluminum shade clamp on utility light itted with 6500K 23 or 26W CFL for 16 hrs. will be sufficient if the plant is kept in a sunniest window (remove bug screen, thoroughly clean all the window panes, and no window coverings from sunup to sundown, but sufficiently insulating curtain/drapes during the night)

I started a bunch of hot peppers from seeds this spring that I will be bringing in for the winter -- De Arbol, Peru White Hab (this one looks like a great bonsai candidate -- slow growing, close internodes, tiny white fruit), Trinidad Perfum, Peppa Dew (marked do not sell!), Scotch Bonnet, Fish (one with particularly great variegation), and Etkezi Paprika. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted with its progress! :D

Maineah_John

tomc wrote:Fatellii (sp?) keeps his in a green house. Not next to a near-by window.

My guess is going to be; you'll need a whole lot more light.
Actually Fatalii grows his production peppers hydroponically in a greenhouse after harvest is done and over with the plants are then cut back and started as bonsai indoors under LED's and fluorescent lights grow lights. Mine is growing under a 300w T5 fixture which has proven to grow all kinds of plants vary well 100% indoors over the last year or two. To name a few dwarf banana tree, dwarf pomegranate bonsai, strawberry plants, potato's, african violet, and more. In fact this mini bell was grown to about 1' then topped and branched all under this vary light. Next year I'd like to try prairie fire those little peppers are so showy!

Better picks later.

Here's a overview of the garden from a few days ago. Looks a lot darker than it is.

2'x4'x5' click for better view

Last edited by Maineah_John on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maineah_John

applestar wrote:Check out the Winter Pepper Torture thread. I found hot peppers to need less supplemental light than bell peppers or tomatoes. A 10" aluminum shade clamp on utility light itted with 6500K 23 or 26W CFL for 16 hrs. will be sufficient if the plant is kept in a sunniest window (remove bug screen, thoroughly clean all the window panes, and no window coverings from sunup to sundown, but sufficiently insulating curtain/drapes during the night)

I started a bunch of hot peppers from seeds this spring that I will be bringing in for the winter -- De Arbol, Peru White Hab (this one looks like a great bonsai candidate -- slow growing, close internodes, tiny white fruit), Trinidad Perfum, Peppa Dew (marked do not sell!), Scotch Bonnet, Fish (one with particularly great variegation), and Etkezi Paprika. 8)

Good luck and keep us posted with its progress! :D
Will for sure check that thread thanks :D . Plenty of light is available for this pepper to flourish just wait and see. Refer to previous post for info.

Vary a nice collection Apple! Please do post pics if possible I'd love to see all those different varieties extra exciting!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”