2chibi
Newly Registered

Golden Gate Ficus Help - Dry, curling leaves

Hello,

I recently received this golden gate ficus, and it's not doing so well:

Based on other posts, I've been able to determine that we've been over-watering the poor thing, but I'd like some other suggestions to help try and save it. Should I remove the leaves? I've been placing it outside on the days that we have sun, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Thanks for any suggestions, I'd feel terrible and guilty if it were to die.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Looks like it has been burned by the sun.

2chibi
Newly Registered

How much sun does it take to burn one? I live just outside of Seattle. We don't get all that much sun here, especially not this time of year.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, I wouldn't have thought sunburn, which usually results in bleached out patches.

But it does look very dry. How did you determine that you were overwatering? Did you compensate by quitting watering?

Or it could just be that it was already dead by the time you changed what you were doing.

Clip the end of a branch off and see if it is green inside. If not, the branch is dead. If branches are dead, try scraping some bark off the trunk and see if it is green underneath. Also pull the tree out of the pot and see what the roots look like. White and firm = healthy. Brown/black and mushy = rotted.

linlaoboo
Green Thumb

when you remove the dead leafs and clip some outer branches look for sap or white milk. If there's no sap, the branch is dead. Move it to a warm position and protect against draft. Mist it and cover it with plastic bag to provide humidity. Don't water again until the soil is all dried up. I don't know what avg temp is by you but if it's still freezing at night and you keep it outdoors it might freeze to death.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”