robichaud
Newly Registered

GARDENIA BONSAI W/YELLOW LEAVES AND BROWN SPOTS

I HAVE A GARDENIA BONSAI THAT I RECEIVED AS A GIFT FROM PROFLOWERS, AS MANY OTHERS WHO HAVE WRITTEN IN WITH PROBLEMS. THE LEAVES ARE TURNING YELLOW WITH BROWN SPOTS AS OTHERS HAVE HAD HAPPEN. PLEASE ADVISE SOON!!!

Linda Thomas
Newly Registered

I have the same problem, did you resolve your problem? I think I haven't been watering mine enough. I added a little iron to it we'll see what happens...

kdodds
Greener Thumb

Sometimes gardenias will do this when they've been shipped and sometimes for a few weeks thereafter. I don't think it's the actual act of shipping the plant that's the problem. Gardenias are one of those "bug magnet" plants, IME, particularly attracting aphids by the butt load. Whenever I've received a gardenia I notice a faint (very) chemical smell, leading me to believe that they're treated with sprays on a regular basis. The one time I did not smell anything, the plant was absolutely LOADED with aphids. When I sprayed it, guess what happened? Yup, yellowing leaves with brown spots, dropping. In fact, it can take upwards of a month for a gardenia, again IME, to recover from being sprayed. Prior to spraying, this plant, despite being loaded was fine, dark green, and healthy for three or four weeks. I'd sequestered it and treated more "naturally" with soap solution (minimally effective) and Neem (ditto), for three weeks after receiving. When this could not bring the infestation under control I sprayed with a "garden and house safe" spray. And, a week later, began seeing the yellowing. The aphids were brought under control at least. I've not treated gardenias specially. They DO, however, need a cool house environment, IME.

Linda Thomas
Newly Registered

Thank you for insight. I looked closely and didn't see aphids but it probably was sprayed be fore it was shipped.

Hope I can keep the tree growing!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”