JTred
Green Thumb

Humidity causing bud breaking? -Ficus

This is just kind of an observation I made within the last week about my ficus. Throughout the winter my tree kind of has a reverse apical dominance, the lower the branch, the better it grew. The canopy, which is where I actually wanted the growth, was stagnant the whole winter. Overall growth during the winter was sporadic, maybe one bud breaking per branch every month or so. Suddenly, over the last week or so, every branch broke buds and began growing. The only change I made was having the window open and the fan on. My theory is that over the winter, the lower branches got more moist air because they are closer to the humidity tray and the wet potting mix. Also, the top branches are not directly over the pot. Is it possible that this slight increase in humidity caused the preference for lower growth during the winter?

If this is true, then during the winter would it be possible to isolate branches or sections of the tree that we need extra growth by using some type of selective humidifying technique, say a clear plastic bag, wrapped around the targeted branches with lots of room for air circulation within the bag? Of course the bag would need to be aired out often to keep fungus and mildew down. This selective targeting of branches would be similar to defoliating a tree, but leaving the branches that need thickened up alone.

Either way, I am leaving my window open and fan on as much as possible until I can get the tree outside in May, and I'll be brainstorming and experimenting with greenhouse methods for next winter.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Jeff, You've raised an interesting question here - and I held off replying to see if others would offer opinions. My experience last winter was almost the opposite of yours, but my circumstances were not the same.

First of all I kept the trees in the cellar for a 'rest period' of 40-45 days. Then since returning to growing conditions the top of the tree has grown out heavily while the lower branches have had some die-back. This is a ficus retusa and I did not use any supplemental lighting or humidity other than a good window location and plenty of misting. I believe the tree will be OK - but I may do some approach grafting where I have lost a couple branches. I'm growing out some 'donors' for that purpose.

Sorry if I got away from your main topic. But I am very curious about how it turns out. Keep us posted.

Big Vine

Can't say I have witnessed it firsthand in my material, but I like your theory, JTred. Certainly I've had it apply to aerial root production; meaning that the lower down and closer to humidity on the trunk/branch, the higher the prevalence of aerial root production. But I can't say I have seen it occur specifically with reference to foliage.

Tom...I'm inclined to say that allowing for better lighting to get to those lower branches would prevent the majority of the dieback you refer to. This could mean increasing lighting and/or thinning out more of the upper foliage to allow more light in.
BV

TomM
Greener Thumb

BV - This ficus is in a southeast facing window getting plenty of morning light, evenly distributed - and I rotate it daily on a turntable. The top foliage is not thick enough to cause shading of the lower branches. But thanks for your thoughts on this.

This was a workshop tree - with Bill Valavanis last year. Chopped up quite a bit. It will be OK.

I think that I did a poor job of bringing it out of the short dormancy period that I gave it. It was experimental and probably not necessary. I may not try it again. I may also have let it go too dry. She is recovering nicely now. And I have begun with a feeding program.

Thanks again guys - keep up the great work !!!

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”