kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

How to Care for a Jade Bonsai

Hi, I am new to bonsai. My fiance recently purchased a Jade tree. It is already started in a pot. I have read everything I can on jades and want to know if there is anything anyone can offer me. I know not to water it too much. It is in a bonsai pot and the place where he got it from put little rocks over the soil. I was wondering if this is ok to have them there because I have heard the rocks retain water which isn't good for the bonsai. I also want to shape it, but I want to know if I should wait to start shaping it and let it get use to the new environment. Any advice would be great!

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kbeeman1127,
I have read everything I can on jades and want to know if there is anything anyone can offer me. I know not to water it too much.
Don't stress too much, Jades are among the easiest plants to keep. Give them as much light as you can manage (are you growing indoors or out? Or perhaps you can do a split season?) and make sure not to water too frequently. Note that this does not mean to be stingy with water when you do water, but to allow an appropriate interval to pass before watering again.

I always water Jades thoroughly, even what some might deem excessively. The key is to wait before watering again, the soil can literally become 'bone dry' and the plant is in no danger. Problems arise when water is supplied too frequently.
It is in a bonsai pot and the place where he got it from put little rocks over the soil. I was wondering if this is ok to have them there because I have heard the rocks retain water which isn't good for the bonsai.
If the rocks are glued on I would definitely remove them, they were a shipping aid and are no longer required and, as you noted, can cause problems. If they are loose then they are not such a problem.
I also want to shape it, but I want to know if I should wait to start shaping it and let it get use to the new environment.
Jades respond nicely to the 'clip and grow' technique, although they can be wired despite what many assume. Examine your plant closely and you will see that the arrangement of the leaves are opposite but alternating. In other word each pair of leaves is opposite of each other but the next set is at 90 degrees to the previous.

You can use this to your advantage. If you prune above a pair of leaves that are arranged to the left and right, you will get a pair of new shoots at the location of each leaf, left and right. If you prune to a pair of leaves than are arranged the other way (one growing toward the trunk and one away from the trunk) you will also get a pair of new shoots, but one growing inside and one growing toward the outside.

If you want a branch to grow outward, or away from the trunk, prune to an appropriate node and remove the inner shoot when it forms, thereby forcing the branch to grow away form the trunk.

If, instead, you wish to increase branching, or 'ramification' then prune to a node that goes to the left and right and allow both resultant shoots to develop.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

You may also want to change the soil it is growing in, as plants with glued down rocks are frequently planted in peaty soil that holds to much water.

kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. I took pictures of it today. See what you think. I took pictures of it from all around the tree and the top of it.

[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/kbeeman1127/IMG_3745.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/kbeeman1127/IMG_3743.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/kbeeman1127/IMG_3745.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/kbeeman1127/IMG_3746.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/kbeeman1127/IMG_3742.jpg[/img]

kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

The rocks aren't glued the woman at the garden place added them for free.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

It still might be worth checking the soil anyway as to see if it is well draining enough to grow a jade in. I would say one of the most common causes of 'sick' jades is due to the use of incorrect soil. Other than that, it looks very good, a nice open broom style (like so many trees of the african serengeti).

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Nice Jade! Now I want one. Bonsaiboy, do you know if I can make a cutting of my Jade plant and start a tree like that or is it a different type of Jade plant. Mine's woody on the bottom, about two inches up, but not anywhere near that big.

kbeeman, I'm jealous, I want a cool Jade tree.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

a0c8c wrote:Nice Jade! Now I want one. Bonsaiboy, do you know if I can make a cutting of my Jade plant and start a tree like that or is it a different type of Jade plant. Mine's woody on the bottom, about two inches up, but not anywhere near that big.

kbeeman, I'm jealous, I want a cool Jade tree.
Just so you both know this is not what is usually referred to as a Jade Plant. Although one of the common names of this species is 'Baby Jade' the correct name is Portulacaria afra. It is closely related to Jades proper and their cultural requirements are virtually identical but if either of you wish to do more research use the correct name.

This is a pretty nice specimen and I agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation to check/replace the soil. It may be OK or it may be too dense. An open and gritty medium is preferable to a dense and peaty one.

Norm

kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

Thanks, I will check the soil tomorrow as soon as I can. Thanks for the advice, and the tree's actual identity. That will help when researching a little more.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

a0c8c,
As Gnome stated, there are really two different species here, the Baby Jade, such as the one in the picture identified by having smaller leafs, and the Jade, which has larger, more oblong leafs. Either or can be trained to look like the one in the picture, although more compact bonsai can be made with the Baby Jade.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm used to thinking of "jade plant" as Crassula, and vice versa. "Portulaca," at least in the S.F. Bay Area, is not a climber; it's more prostrate and--I would guess--pretty difficult to coax into cooperating with bonsai methods.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

I called the garden center to see what kind of soil I should buy for my bonsai. The lasy told me that I should use cactus soil for the bonsai. Will that be safe? Also, my bonsai's leafs are starting to fall I noticed this today. Any ideas as to why they are? I have to on my dresser, and I live in a basement apartment with a large window well. My room gets really good lighting from this window. Could that still be the problem though? I watered the plant last sunday very lightly and it doesn't look like it needs water yet.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

cynthia_h,
There are many species of Portulaca, some of which, such as the one in the picture, become somewhat woody and form shrubs, unlike the North American weed.

kbeeman1127,
As long as the plant gets very bright light (the closer to full sun the better), it should be okay. If the soil is not very good, that may be causing the leaf drop. It may also be because it is simply adjusting. Although a bonsai soil consisting mostly of large, inorganic particals would be best here, a good catus soil may do for now.

kbeeman1127
Newly Registered

Update: I potted my baby jade this past week. I bought some cactus potting soil and the woman at the store told me it was what I needed for my bonsai. I haven't watered my bonsai in a week I was trying to let it dry up because I think I might have over watered it last week. The old soil when I took it out of its pot was still pretty damp after a week of not being watered. I am worried that I might have over watered it or shocked it too much. The leaves are starting to turn yellow and everytime I bump the table it is on the leaves fall off. I have been putting it out in the sun during the day so it can get plenty of light. Any idea as to why the leaves are falling off?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

kbeeman1127,

The problem could very well stem from the excessively wet period. It may also be due to being kept in low light, or a combination of the two.
I have to on my dresser, and I live in a basement apartment with a large window well. My room gets really good lighting from this window. Could that still be the problem though?
Even though you perceive the lighting as adequate it may not be. Which way does the window face and how close to the window are you keeping it. You may want to look into some form of supplemental lighting. Fluorescent is a reasonable compromise of cost and effectiveness.

Now that you have re-potted it, just be consistent with it and make sure to allow the soil to dry before watering.

Norm

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”