cricket
Newly Registered

My Ficus bonsai is dying. Help please!

I think it is a golden gate ficus. I have left my fiance in charge of watering it. He says he hasn't watered it too much. We have it near a window inside the house. The window is open once in a while, but mostly it is closed with the shade open. There is no direct sunlight as the window goes to our covered patio. We have had this plant for 3 months. I want to save it. Any help??? I can't figure out how to post a picture, so the leaves have been falling off. Turning brown, crumpling, and then falling off. I didn't think much of it at first, because there seems to be new growth, but the new growth hasn't grown much at all. If you can clue me in how to post a pic, I will do that ASAP.

Thanks a bunch!
~Julia

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Try here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3557 Be sure to get a picture of the trunk and soil, if possible.

cricket
Newly Registered

here is my link to my photobucket with some pics. my camera isn't too good.
https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt273/cricket240/bonsai%20tree/

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Julia,

The first thing that comes to mind is that your plant is probably not getting enough light. While Ficus can manage in low light they will do better in a brighter situation. In your case being so far from any direct light is surely detrimental.

Do you have a brighter location? Perhaps another window that is not shaded. There is always the possibility of putting it outside if you are so inclined. I keep Ficus outside in full sun all summer long and they do well.

It may be getting a little late in the season to move yours outside though. The weather is still warm enough but at some point it will need to be brought inside and Ficus are known to sometimes lose their leaves when moved to a new location. If it should make a recovery outside the move back inside might cause another leaf drop.

Also please take a few moments to review [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1479]this thread[/url] for some tips on watering. Try out the 'chopstick method' it can help you get a better feel for when to water. In a state such as this watering too frequently can be problem as a plant without leaves will not transpire as much water as a similar, healthy specimen. Monitor the moisture in the soil carefully. Misting it certainly won't hurt and the use of a humidity tray can also be beneficial.

Norm

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Scrape off a small patch of bark on the base of the trunk and on some branches. If there is green underneath, there may be a chance at recovery. You may want to change the soil into something faster draining and less peaty.

Jeramiah
Newly Registered

The soil really does look bad. Maybe a little root rot going on?
I have one of those trees and the soil I use I water every three to four days. I use a chopstick to tell when the soil is dry. I let mine go dry for a day and then water. If I don't I get yellow leafs and they fall off.

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”