mo1001
Newly Registered

dormacy needs of Zanthoxylum piperitum

last year I bought a chinese plum but it in 3-4 months I was growing it as a indoor bonsai under CFL lamp I used chyrisal bonsai feed as it was a flowering I did start using canna boost once it dead it took me 6 months to get the courage to think abt buying another bonsai.

this time I am hoping to get a Zanthoxylum piperitum or a ficus retusa. I ve read that ficus need no dormacy whereas the Zanthoxylum piperitum needs 6-8 weeks of dormacy (I.e. a Zanthoxylum piperitum need to be kept under 15 degrees for 6-8 weeks in the winter otherwise it get ill after afew years and dies) can any body provide advise. as my house is usually 23 degrees in the winter.

if the Zanthoxylum piperitum does require dormancy I may get the ficus as it requires no dormancy
thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It always helps to tell us where in the world you are. There are almost no gardening questions, even indoor gardening ones that can be answered without regard to location and climate. For example, we have a number of people these days writing in from places like Australia and So. Africa, because they are about to start spring and have spring garden questions. Makes a difference for you and your bonsai, whether you are going in to spring or fall.

When you say your house is 23 degrees, can I assume that is 23 deg Centigrade (=73 deg F)?

I don't know anything about your zanthoxylum (variously called Japanese Pepper, Chinese pepper, sweet aromatic pepper). Looking it up, I did find it on a lot of lists of trees suitable for indoor bonsai, which makes me think it might be ok without a dormancy period. I didn't find anyone specifically saying it did need dormancy. Hopefully someone will come along who knows more about it.

Welcome to the Forum!! :)

GreenViking
Newly Registered

I bought a Japanese Pepper a few months ago - it was sold to me as an indoor plant and I intend to keep it w.o. dormancy. I'm excited to see how it'll fare through the winter - so far it is looking good. PM in the spring/summer and I'll tell you if its still alive :)

Return to “Indoor Bonsai Forum”