meta
Newly Registered

Banana peppers aren't peppy!

My banana peppers taste a lot like green peppers. Does this mean that they're not ripe enough yet (they're about 3 1/2 to 4" long) or have I watered them too much?

Please help!

Roger

I thought most 'banana' peppers were a sweet pepper and not supposed to be hot or spicy ?

fabulousmindy

meta wrote:My banana peppers taste a lot like green peppers. Does this mean that they're not ripe enough yet (they're about 3 1/2 to 4" long) or have I watered them too much?

Please help!
I bought a cubanelle plant, which I thought was a sweet bananna pepper but they taste like green peppers. I went back and read the label and it said wait until they are 6-8 inches so that is what I am doing now...

mbaker410

If I am not mistaken the cubanelle is a pepper with a very mild flavor. So even after it matures a little still expect the flavor to be more on the mild side. This pepper is used a lot in traditional Italian cooking instead of bell peppers so I would imagine that the flavors are not that fare off.

Mike

Ole Dummy

meta wrote:My banana peppers taste a lot like green peppers. Does this mean that they're not ripe enough yet (they're about 3 1/2 to 4" long) or have I watered them too much?

Please help!
There are sweet and hot banana pepper, I have both planted. Which direction are the sharp end of the pepper growing, up or down? If they are growing down they are sweet and up they are hot.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

A hot pepper will get hotter as it gets more ripe, so try waiting until the pepper turns color to taste it. If it is still mild, you'll know to plant a different variety next year.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”