Arriga
Cool Member

Sweet banana peppers

I have several on my plant that are quite long but still lime green. the are suppose to be yellow right? Should I harvest and let sit in the window or leave them be?

Roger

It depends on the variety, and a lot of your gardens environmental conditions how quickly and how much any pepper changes colors. If you leave them on the plant they will eventually change colors as they ripen and mature. I wouldn't let them sit in a window; they will keep their crispness better if cool [in the fridge.]Even then, one or two days is about all you can expect before they start getting soft & wilted.

If you are needing/wanting one, and they are still greenish but large, you could go ahead and pick one and taste - sometimes peppers taste pretty good even though they are technically immature. On the other hand, you can leave them on the plant to ripen a bit more if you have no pressing need for one right now.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've never grown peppers before and I was planning on leaving them on the plant until they start to turn color--then I'll be sure they are mature.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”